Panting roll on bed liner??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone here ever used the DIY tintable bedliner kits, like UPOL Raptorliner?

I did my front deck with Tuff Coat (light gray) from BPS. I wirebrushed the diamond plate with a SS cup brush in my cordless drill . Then the instructions told me to wipe the surface down with laquer thinner and paint with selfetching primer. I wanted to see how it held up before doing the entire boat . I have seen new boats at BPS that were peeling already but could tell no surface prep was done at all, and that is the key to all bedliner applications. You can see my boat here :

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17511

BoCoMo said:
Well thanks for the info, but its to late now. Put it down yesterday. Covered very nicely and very easy to work w/. I followed the directions to a t and it looks great. We'll see how it holds up.
The guys at oriellys where i bought it said to spray adhesion spray before i paint and it would stick. One of them had personal experience from his truck bed and said all is good 3 years later.
Might leave it black for a while and see just how bad it will be.
I have pics on my phone. ill start up a mod thread and get everything start to finish.

I am sure you will be good. Typically I have seen the adhesion spray used on plastic parts (like a bumper) because of the flex...I have used it on paintball masks for guys and it does help. It may give you some extra holding power, our boats do flex...

whistler said:
jigngrub said:
It's your boat, wear it out.

I personally don't find it attractive and if you paint over it you defeat the nonslip qualities. For me there are better options... but that's just me.

I don't really have anything in this but discussion but was reading along and curious. What in your opinion are the better options?

I think jigngrub hit and run...or the fish started biting and he went fishing! Hey jig you left us hanging, what are the better options?

whistler said:
I think jigngrub hit and run...or the fish started biting and he went fishing! Hey jig you left us hanging, what are the better options?

Heck, a dirty hull almost looks better than that junk to me. :wink:

I like plain ol' paint better than that stuff if you're talking about just covering the aluminum in your boat, if you're talking about covering a plywood deck marine vinyl is the way to go. It looks good, is fairly cheap, sheds water, and is a breeze to clean.

It only takes a medium amount of skill to install the vinyl, but if your skill level is low and your don't care to raise it by experience... then smearing on bed liner is probably your best bet.

jigngrub said:
whistler said:

Heck, a dirty hull almost looks better than that junk to me. :wink:

I like plain ol' paint better than that stuff if you're talking about just covering the aluminum in your boat, if you're talking about covering a plywood deck marine vinyl is the way to go. It looks good, is fairly cheap, sheds water, and is a breeze to clean.

It only takes a medium amount of skill to install the vinyl, but if your skill level is low and your don't care to raise it by experience... then smearing on bed liner is probably your best bet.

jigngrub, As i said in an earlier post I don't have a dog in this one I was asking just for my general knowledge. Basically wondering if you had something special in mind. I actually have seen some done with the spray on liner (both do it yourself and shop applied) and it looks pretty darn good. I don't know how it looks after it weathers and ages a bit though? Your comment about skill level being low probably describe me for many things one of them removal of old glue when it comes time to replacing that marine vinyl! :wink: Old glue is a nightmare to me. :!: