piano or strap hinge?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airbornemike

Reaction score
I'm looking to span the space between my transom and first bench with a hinged deck. I will be standing and fishing on it and was wondering what type of hinge is best to use, a strap or piano hinge?

Here's the area I want to cover, I want to keep it very basic and light. I'm thinking of overlaying all the way onto the seat? 1/2" marine plywood glassed.

Attachments

• 20140504_114903-1.jpg
    20140504_114903-1.jpg
    800.5 KB · Views: 345
Id use a piano hinge. But dont skimp and get one of them .030 ones like some builders like to use. Get at least a .100 or even .125 imo.

If you plan to stand on it I would go with a stainless steel piano/continuous hinge. And I'd also plan on adding some sort of support under your plywood if that span is as big as it appears to be. The weight of the person that will be standing on it can also be something to consider when you're building your cover.

I would probly just screw/glue a ledge of wood across the back of the seat and through bolt some blocks to the sides and let the deck just drop in/out, cutting it to fit tight and flush w the bench seat. I might also add a piece of angle underneath to support the back edge of the deck and leave a space for ventilation.