Please help me redo this jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trpastor

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 14ft lowe boat 2004, that is in pretty good shape. But the wood is warped on the decking, and the carpet is looking old. I want to redo it, but I'm not sure where to start.

Do I just use regular plywood? Where do I find the carpeting?

Is there anything you can do to the wood to keep it from warping again?

I like thier layout, I just want to make it look nicer overall.

Also, what about painting the exterior? I've seen some pretty sharp looking paint jobs and was wondering what you might have to do to make it look nice?

Thanks
Tim

Tim,
Welcome to TInboats.net, thanks for joining!

Here is a link to most of the members modifications. Read through them to get ideas for what you want to do to your boat.
There is also a link on painting and primer for your boat in the same link.
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

Secondly, Post up a couple of pictures of your boat, that helps members visualize your set up and then can help you even more. If you need help posting pictures you can read this link here. Member SMdave wrote a short but sweet tutorial that gives you a couple of options on linking and attaching pictures.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3664

The deck warping could be from not enough support and moisture over the years.
Regular plywood will work, but you will need to waterproof it with a few coats of sealer. Check out the videos section off the homepage for a quick deck test with different thickness plywoods used. For Carpet, the cheap consensus is to use the marine grade stuff they sell at Lowes.

Pull up a chair and a hot cup of coffee and just go through the site.

Here are a couple of questions for you.

Will you be using a gas motor or just elecric?
What type of fishing do you do?
What type of waters do you mostly fish?
Mostly fish by yourself or with others?

I was kind of surprised at how all these play a factor when customizing a boat.

Jim

Hey Guys, thanks for the help already! Ive seen some posts on decking ranging from just using treated lumber, to sealing with different protectors, to using marine grade, to even using plastics and aluminum! I don't want to spend a fortune. I just want the most bang for the buck that will last a decent long time.

I'm using gas. A 9.9 07 mercury.

I do bass fishing on lakes, but I'd like to take it on rivers. I would have loved a jet river jon but couldn't find or afford one at the time.

I usually fish with 2 in the boat.

I'll get some pics uploaded soon
Thanks again
TIm