PLease help with my paint project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonSteRR

Reaction score
043.JPGNew to this site and first time boat owner. I purchased this boat real cheap with trailer and a 8hp tohatsu engine for $300 bucks. I put a lot of paint stripping labor work into it with a stripping wheel. I wonder if any one can give me advice to if these materials are good or worth using , at least to last for about 5 years? Can I prime with roller and take it out onto lake to check if it leaks before I paint it ? :roll: The salesman at Marine world suggested I use 3 cans of Zinc primer @ $13 bucks a piece. Wanted something of same quality a hell of a lot cheaper. Lowes primer for adhesion was $14 buks, will it work? Figured Rust-Oleum products are good. Do I clean boat with acetone before I roll on primer?

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,242
Yes clean it with acetone. You will then want to use either zinc chromate primer or self etching primer...self etching is the less expensive option of the two. Rustoleum sells it and I believe at Walmart in cans it is 4.77 a can. Three to four cans should do it. I am not sure on the cost for a rolling option in self etching.

So I take it that I cannot use the aluminum primer in the photo? Shall I return qt of roll on primer for aluminum and use etching primer?

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,227
I never like to go against the pros...if it isn't what they recommend I don't buy it. For many moons folks have been using zinc chromate or self etching...I would stick to one of those.

Im an estimator for a collision center in O.C and I always talk to my painters and they recommend Epoxy no sand primer or I can use the rust Oleum that I have on photo. They also never use Rust-Oleum products, strictly water- borne PPG paint. I am going to give it a try and I will be using the painters spray gun to spray it thinned out with acetone this weekend.

Can I get any feedback or advice from anyone who has used these products or think I shaal use still the etching primer? :cry:

I agree with Jd. Use the rustoleum self etching if cost is an issue. You can also get the rustoleum marine paint from ACE. I used both these on mine. However, it is your boat and you should do what you want. Ask questions, make decisions and learn from what we do.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your project.

I thought I would chime in on the paint chat. I have used the Rust-oleum aluminum primer for years on aluminum rain gutters and other aluminum projects. It used to be labeled "Gutter Primer" and it is the same formula. I just got done painting a Jon boat and that is what I used as the primer. I had an aluminum basketball backboard I painted and installed 20 years ago and it still has the paint on it, so I feel it is still a good product. A use a good top coat over the primer. If you used the oil base paint in your picture, make sure to used a clear coat over it. :D

Good Luck :!:

If there are any leaks i recommend works like a champ
https://www.cabelas.com/boat-care-appearance-cabelas-aluminum-boat-patch-1.shtml

The Rustoleum Self-Etching primer is nice stuff. It works great and its cheaper than anything else. I did the inside of my boat with it and i used 4 cans.

I'm getting ready to prime and paint my boat in the coming weeks. I was at Home Depot getting some things when I noticed this one. Has anyone used this on their boat? Seems like it would work.
2012-02-26_17-00-14_HDR.jpg

The 1st time I painted my boat, I used a clear yellowish primer Sears sold as "Galva-grip" primer for aluminum and galvanized metals. I got over 12 years on the paint job, using porch and deck enamel. the enamel flaked, but only between the paint coats. I had zero adhesion problems with the primer itself either between the primer and the hull or the primer and the base paint coat. this time I went with the self-etching primer in spray cans. If it does as good as the other, I will be well pleased.

The green is the old paint, then I stripped it to bare (probably didn't really need to), and the blue is the new paint job.

Attachments

• IMG_2686.JPG
    IMG_2686.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 184
  • normal_BoatPainted_012.jpg
    normal_BoatPainted_012.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 184

Latest posts