Pontoon Forum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Ask and you shall receive. Let's see those pontoon pictures, mods you have done, or even fun things to do on them. Hoping my wife does not see this as she is begging me to dump the Ranger for a family pontoon party boat. :LOL2:

If things go according to plan, and I have no reason to think they won't, the travel trailer will be gone tomorrow. I mentioned to Mrs Ldubs that we could put a pontoon boat where the travel trailer used to be. Well, I thought it was a decent idea anyway.

LDUBS said:
Ooohh. A house boat! Can tow the Ranger behind it.

We rented a houseboat years back and brought our 14’ boat along to fish out of.

You don’t tow it behind as you can’t see it and it tends to crash into the back of the house when you slow down.

I tied it off the side about mid way with the stern tight (about 1 foot slack) and the bow loose(2-3’ slack) and it behaved beautifully and I could keep an eye on it.

It kind of crabs sideways a little bit and basically tries to constantly go away from the house and is still free enough to ride out wakes without banging.

Might be an insignificant amount, but the "crabbing" is probably the tires trying to go straight, and you are skidding them a bit, causing some inevitable tire wear.

Gotta be some, might be minor...just speculating.

Best wishes

RaisedByWolves said:
LDUBS said:

You don’t tow it behind as you can’t see it and it tends to crash into the back of the house when you slow down.

I tied it off the side about mid way with the stern tight (about 1 foot slack) and the bow loose(2-3’ slack) and it behaved beautifully and I could keep an eye on it.

It kind of crabs sideways a little bit and basically tries to constantly go away from the house and is still free enough to ride out wakes without banging.

That explains why I always see them tied up to the side!

Kismet said:
Might be an insignificant amount, but the "crabbing" is probably the tires trying to go straight, and you are skidding them a bit, causing some inevitable tire wear.

Gotta be some, might be minor...just speculating.

Best wishes

Nah, I took it offa da trailer when we launched it.

LDUBS said:
RaisedByWolves said:
LDUBS said:

That explains why I always see them tied up to the side!

I got goofy looks when we set out on Monday, by Friday a few others followed suit.

Granted this was after the home marina put out an APB for a lost skeeter. Has to be a shock to look for your 20k bass rig only to find it gone and the keys in your pocket.

This was at Raystown lake near Pburgh, lots of nooks and cranny’s to hide a small boat, and iirc it cost the owner either as skeg or a prop as the impound is mostly rock shoreline.

I saw a pontoon out on the lake today. Not sure of the size, but two pontoons -- maybe 18' or 20'. It could cook along pretty good. It looked like a Honda outboard but I don't know the size. It had a big Bimini style shade, and of course patio-like seating. They were right in front of us when we returned to the ramp. They drove it right up on the trailer. It looked pretty easy.

I'm pretty happy with my current boat and have no intention of changing, but I see a lot of positives to these pontoons boats.

I'll put this here because it was a pontoon. While I was prepping the boat before launching this morning a couple of guys and a gal pulled up with a pontoon boat. Had an older 50 HP. They fired the outboard up and let if run for a few seconds before they were anywhere near the ramp. Did this a couple of times. I suppose they wanted to make sure it starts. It isn't uncommon to see this in ramp parking lots and it is usually pleasure boaters. Seems they are playing with fire, but what do I know.

That's like the Wave Runner/Jetski guys revving it up on the trailer after they pull out of the water. I saw a pontoon being towed through town yesterday while I was on a bike ride. It had a 225 hp outboard on it!

Latest posts