Pound ratings - are they for real?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbacksideslider

Reaction score
A month ago I got caught in some wind that pushed me and my 14 foot Gregor with its 17 pound Minn Kota backward.

So . . . . I replaced my 17 pound Minn Kota with a later model 30 pound Minn Kota. Both 12 volt.

Yesterday, the wind pushed me backward again!

That 30 pound unit, despite it's larger motor and prop doesn't seem to have 23 more pounds of oomph. Actually, it's about the same. The prop of the 30, while larger, seems to spin slower than the 17's prop. The diameter of the motor is larger too.

What's the deal?

I'm also wondering if there's something wrong with the 30 pound unit, or if there's "poundage inflation" by the trolling motor companies. Is there a diagnostic procedure to see if a motor is putting out its rated force?

A couple of questions.

1. What type of battery are you using?
2. How old is your battery?
3. Do you hook the motor to the battery using the manufactures clamps/splice or eyelet?
4. What type of battery charger are you using?
5. Is the 30lbs motor new or used?

A couple of things to try;

1. While underway don't deadhead into the wind, try a 45* angle to it.
2. Anything that is above the gunnels (fishing poles, people, nets, seats, bimini top) can catch the wind and slow you down.
3. You can also try a Power Prop for your motor!

I just clicked on the picture of your boat and noticed that your running the trolling motor on the bow. Also with all that decking, you added a lot of weight to it. You might be better off just upgrading to a 50 or 55 lbs bow mount trolling motor.

I have a 15 foot Klamath that's trick out and I just upgraded to a Minn Kota 55lbs Ipilot. Best mod that I've done yet! I can deadhead into a 10+ mph wind with the bimini up and still maintain a good trolling speed.

krawler said:
A couple of questions.

1. What type of battery are you using?
Group 27 Deep Cycle, 12 Volt, in the bow

2. How old is your battery?
6 months but it is a re-built unit, holds 14 volts or better when fully charged, never drops below 12 volts

3. Do you hook the motor to the battery using the manufactures clamps/splice or eyelet?
yes, stock MinnKota wires (no extension) connect by ring terminals to the battery terminals by wing nuts

4. What type of battery charger are you using?
I use the 2 amp setting of an automotive charger which offers two 12 volt choices, 2 amp or a 10 amp

5. Is the 30lbs motor new or used?
Used but new condition, original tags were on it but whenit is on its highest speed the prop seems to spin slower than the 17 pound motor I replaced. #-o

A couple of things to try;
1. While underway don't deadhead into the wind, try a 45* angle to it. Good idea.

2. Anything that is above the gunnels (fishing poles, people, nets, seats, bimini top) can catch the wind and slow you down.
Another good tip.

3. You can also try a Power Prop for your motor!
Didn't know about that.
Thanks for your comments

krawler said:
I just clicked on the picture of your boat and noticed that your running the trolling motor on the bow. Also with all that decking, you added a lot of weight to it. You might be better off just upgrading to a 50 or 55 lbs bow mount trolling motor.

Thanks Krawler.

I should say that when I sight along the keel, the TM's shaft length appears to be just long enough for the props to throw its water under the keel. Admittedly, though the TM does work better if I trim it, or set the shaft angle out so that the angle of the prop thrust shoots slightly down, or at an angle lower than horizontal.

Yes, the deck adds weight but I tried to design it out. The biggest weight added is the battery and trolling motor. The decking is less than one sheet of nominal 1/2" cabinet grade so it is lighter, not full of glue. No carpet. As for joists, there is only about 12 feet of 2x4 and its is what they call "white wood" which is a light weight type. Most of the deck's support is from the original bow seat's top and from careful fitting of the deck close to the hull so that the hull takes the load.

I have a 15 foot Klamath that's trick out and I just upgraded to a Minn Kota 55lbs Ipilot. Best mod that I've done yet! I can deadhead into a 10+ mph wind with the bimini up and still maintain a good trolling speed.

Yes, I'm looking for something like that now. Now, I've got two trolling motors for sale, LOL.

krawler said:

Thanks Krawler.

I should say that when I sight along the keel, the TM's shaft length appears to be just long enough for the prop to throw its water under the keel. Admittedly, though the TM does work better if I trim it, or set the shaft angle out so that the angle of the prop thrust shoots slightly down, or at an angle lower than horizontal.

Yes, the deck adds weight but I tried to design it out. Still, you're correct all tolled its more than 200 pounds. The biggest weight added is the battery and trolling motor. The decking is less than one sheet of nominal 1/2" cabinet grade so it is lighter, not full of glue. No carpet. As for joists, there is only about 12 feet of 2x4 and its is what they call "white wood" which is a light weight type. Most of the deck's support is from the original bow seat's top and from careful fitting of the deck close to the hull so that the hull takes the load. But . . . . there's all that tackle under the deck and the live well (empty) too.

Yes, I'm looking for something like that now. Now, I've got two trolling motors for sale, LOL.

Latest posts