POWER for 1968 STARCRAFT SUPER SPORT V-16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

Well, I've done it again. = I've found the above deep/wide STARCRAFT tinny with a 55 hp JOHNSON (cheap) & am wondering if 55hp is ENOUGH MOTOR to push the runabout decently "out on the salt".
(I'm told that the hull was rated by STARCRAFT to 80HP & the 55 Johnny is only 68% of the rated HP.)

Also, I'm looking about for a long-foot Johnson as a trolling motor, that has enough PUSH to get us IN "from way out there" in the event of an OB problem.

OUR MEMBERS ADVICE IS SOLICITED.

yours, tex

Yes it is, as I bet most were sold w/ 40hps & 60hp probably the max. I ran a Starcraft 160 Fishmaster w/ a 60hp, upgrading from a 40. It was not so much a WOT top speed gain, although clearly there, more that I could carry 4-5 people to the beach without sacrificing performance or speed.

I'd check the pitch via that prop calculator I linked to in the Motors forum.

DaleH,

FIRST, THANKS for the input. = Despite the "parade" of boats that I've owned over the last 6 decades, I've not had a BIG 16-foot "tin" runabout quite like this SUPER SPORT V16.

While I've had numerous 'tinnys" they have all been either BIG flat-bottom, (including a long/slim 20 foot river-boat), Jonboats OR considerably smaller than this one. - My BIG boats have either been woodies (Like the 42' OWENS woodie sedan) or glass hulled & generally either conventional inboards or sterndrives.

NOTE: My first HOT ROD was a mahogany molded-plywood 18-foot HOLMES, with a pair of "hot-rodded" Mark 78A Mercury OBs, that looked quite like a YELLOWJACKET (The Denison Hot Rod) on steroids.
(For its day, that good 'ole girl "would hike up her skirt" & fly. - It would even in 2020, keep up with most of the boats on the lakes.)

THANKS again, tex

Dale H; All,

Well I guess that, as soon as I replace the ROTTED wood in the transom, repaint/coat the plywood against it rotting again, install some seats & put the OB back on, that I'll find out how that big open runabout runs out with 55 HP.

I got a SURPRISE about 1600 hours. = Mr. W________ called me & said, "Tex, I'm sick to death of people coming over here & 'downing' my boat & motor, telling me that they are WORTHLESS junk & then offering to 'haul it off' for maybe 50-100 bucks. One guy actually told me that wanted me TO PAY HIM 50 bucks to haul the boat away."

He paused & said,"Tex, I want you to have the StarCraft, fix it up & enjoy it. Bring me 200 bucks & it's yours, lock, stock, barrel, motor, titles & all."
(NOT surprisingly, I said, "YES" & "I'll get a check in the mail to you tomorrow.")

Then Mr. W__________ said that I can leave the boat/motor right where it is until my broken/cracked ribs are healed & I'm getting about somewhat better.
(Believe it or not, I fell over "Buster, the cat" & went down 3 steps onto the concrete sidewalk, HARD.- 2 broken & 4 cracked ribs. = A major OUCH, for sure.)

GOOD THINGS sometimes come to those who wait & are POLITE to sellers!!!!

NOW, I have to find a pair of back-to-back "lounge seats" in a color that coordinates with the CHOCOLATE BROWN exterior (The original in the exterior finish is just NICE, as the boat has been inside most of its life.) & matching vinyl material to replace the "soft trim" of the interior.
(Unfortunately, the factory seats were thrown away in about 1990, as the seat upholstery was torn.)

"Color me" PLEASED clear down to the ground. :D :D

yours, tex

satx78247 said:
. . . . until my broken/cracked ribs are healed & I'm getting about somewhat better.
(Believe it or not, I fell over "Buster, the cat" & went down 3 steps onto the concrete sidewalk, HARD.- 2 broken & 4 cracked ribs. = A major OUCH, for sure.)

Congrats on the new boat, but holy cow, sorry to hear about busted ribs. I hope you get well soon.

Take care.

LDUBS,

It could have been FAR WORSE. - There is a 77YO retired MSG in the FSH Post Hospital right now that fell off of a 3-FT tall kitchen stool (while changing light bulbs) & broke several ribs, his left arm in 2 places & got some other injuries, so I consider myself quite LUCKY.
(Our ANC RN/NP says that I should be "all healed up" in bout 6-8 weeks.)

THANKS for the GOOD wishes. - I'll be OK. = NOT my first rodeo.

yours, tex

Latest posts