Problem with Battery Charger

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingCop

Reaction score
Went to get my boat out of storage and battery was dead - couldn't up-tilt the motor. Plugged in the on-board charger, after 24 hours, still dead. HOWEVER the from battery (trolling motor) was very hot to the touch and had leaked out acid into the hard plastic battery case. I switched it to the back to tilt the motor so I could tow it home - that worked. Last year when leaving the charger on overnight, we noticed a hot, battery/burning smell in the garage.

So.. Any thoughts on
1. why my battery went dead and won't charge? (2 years old, walmart #24
2. Why is the other battery frying when on the charger?? (1 year old, Walmart #24

Could it be a problem with the charger??

it could be a problem with the charger, but it almost sounds like your battery has gone bad from sitting. I think it's called sulfation and there is a way to bring it back to life, but you have to have a charger that will do the desulfating process

It could be either.

If your battery dropped a cell or otherwise lost capacity, your charger would never shut itself off as it would never recognize your battery as being fully charged.

That being said, it could be a faulty charger that is not shutting itself down even after a battery is fully charged.

It's hard to say. You don't leave your onboard plugged up when your boat is in storage?

Quackrstackr said:
It could be either.

If your battery dropped a cell or otherwise lost capacity, your charger would never shut itself off as it would never recognize your battery as being fully charged.

That being said, it could be a faulty charger that is not shutting itself down even after a battery is fully charged.

It's hard to say. You don't leave your onboard plugged up when your boat is in storage?

Haven't been? Usually it was in the garage, this was the first year we put it in storage - unheated, enclosed. Didn't leave the charger on partially, because we smelled that burning battery smell last fall and thought that wasn't right? Figured the batteries would be okay through the winter?

if the smell is similiar to rotten eggs - that's usually an indication of overcharging - so it may be your charger.

Be careful with that battery -- those things are prone to explode when they start smelling like that. I wouldn't take the chance - trade it in for a core charge on a new battery.

If your onboard charger has a monitor feature like mine has, I would just leave it plugged up. It monitors for discharge and trickle charges the batteries back up to full charge. Your batteries will lose a certain percentage of charge per day (I forget now what that is). Letting a deep cycle remain in a discharged state (even a semi-discharged state) for any length of time is hard on them and drastically shortens their life.

I have a buddy with a 12 year old set of original deep cycles on a Procraft. His boat stays plugged in 24/7 in storage.

I started out plugging mine in about every 2 to 3 weeks here at the house this winter but I have since purchased an outdoor extension cord and just leave it plugged up. The batteries stay ready and the fluid levels have remained full.

Like Russ said, I would swap those batteries and then monitor that charger on a brand new set. It could be faulty and not shutting off or the cooking smell could have been a result of bad batteries that would not take a full charge to make it shut off.

Thanks for you help and suggestions. One battery is bad, the other seems okay. Buying a new battery tomorrow then we'll monitor te charger and see if it is shutting off properly or not?

Could the battery have frozen? I live in Missouri and if I let my battery set through a hard freeze at less than 60 percent charge, they often freeze. This cause cells to short out. Just an idea. Thats why I always charge and never use my batteries below 60%.

I work at Interstate Batteries to help out my uncle and to make $$ while I look for a job dealing with my degree. I charge, test, and do everything batteries all day every day. I am not saying I know all that much about batteries, but I know how to charge them and maintain them. At what rate are you charging the batteries? I charge 12 batteries in series at no more than 3 amps. When charging a single battery I would do the same or less. You can charge them with more amps, but it will lessen the life of the battery. Check the acid level on each cell, if it is low, add distilled water. We add acid, but water is better. If you add water the charge will deplete, if you add acid it won't, but adding water and charging is better for the battery.

There is no way a battery will stay charged through the winter. There is a chance that you have a bad cell, get yourself a hydrometer and check each cell individually. If the cells are not somewhat even, there is a good chance you have a bad cell. Even if you have a bad cell, the other cells will charge higher than usual to compensate for the bad one, showing that you still may have a fully charged battery with a volt meter, but it will not hold an extended load.

With that being said, I have no experience with onboard chargers and have no idea how they work. I would imagine they work like a battery tender, if not, that is what I would suggest for you next winter.

As a side note, Walmart batteries are either made by exide, or johnson control, which is who interstate is made by. This is determined by region, I am not sure on what region gets what, but exide is absolute crap.

As long as a battery is maintained correctly, it can easily last 10 years. I could go on countless rants of how people bring in year old dead batteries telling me that it is bad, all I do is charge it up and it is just fine.

Thanks jkbirocz,

The on-board battery charger is supposed to shut down to mainteance mode, but it apparently didn't do that - as evidenced by the "cooked" battery - very hot and boiling the water out - just in the 24 hrs I had it on. That was on the good battery. Plus, we smelled that cooked battery smell last year in the garage.

Took both batteries out and filled the water (both were a little low, but not below the cells).

The one that was dead wouldn't take a charge - charger said "Bad cell" and the charger just kept shutting off.

The "cooked" one, charged for a couple minutes then the charger went down to trickle charge. BTW, this was a car charger, not the on-board charger, and it's showing a full charge on the battery.

Both were Walmart batteries? I've got the bad one in the car to take back tomorrow to see if they'll test it and see what's wrong. It's only 2 years old, but out of warranty so I'm guessing I'll be buying a new battery.

The on-board charger instructions said that if we spliced any extra wire that it might affect the heat sensor and it might not shut down after a full charge - we susoect that's the case since there was additional wire spliced on when it was installed????

Intersting on the Excide/Johnson Control batteries. Johnson Controls is right here in my home town - Geneva, Illinois. But no telling which battery is at our local Walmart?? Everyone raves about Walmart batteries??? Maybe I should go buy another brand?? What do you recommend?

I hate to hi-jack your thread - but this thread should be made a sticky...

Is it ok to charge 2 deep cycle 29series batteries in parallel at 2amps, or should I do each of them 1 at a time.

russ010 said:
I hate to hi-jack your thread - but this thread should be made a sticky...

Is it ok to charge 2 deep cycle 29series batteries in parallel at 2amps, or should I do each of them 1 at a time.

Okay, what's a sticky????

it's a post that stays at the top of all other threads in that particular section of the forum..

Latest posts