Project turned into a rebuild.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One that will float you face up even if not conscious is a good thing as well as auto inflation and shouldn't be overlooked. Especially if you are alone fishing and/or at night. The one I picked is very light and open and should be way more comfortable than the giant old style or even the body fitting ones that are extremely hot in the summer. Probably won't have as many issues wearing it all the time as some of the others I have owned.
I went and bought an Onyx from Academy got it home and tried it on. I’m a big boy and it fit but I only had about an inch of strap left to let out. It fits a 52”chest. I’m diabetic and always battling with weight. Been doing good for a while but if I grow any this thing is useless.They don’t have anything larger so I searched online and found another Onyx 30”-63” chest , has more buoyancy and watched a video of a guy who deployed it and it holds your head up. The other one is being returned tomorrow. It was comfortable. I moved around in it sit down etc. It was just to close to running out of room. The bigger one has way mora ability and is built better. It’s right at double the cost but if it saves me one it’s a small price to pay. I’m also looking at a three step ladder that’s like a rope ladder for boats. I can put to anchor points to connect it to and leave it inside the boat but be able to reach it from the water and pull it out over the side.
Just have to pick the right spot where nothing ever gets put on it and it’s out of the way. I may roll it up put a couple of Velcro straps around it and it can hang just inside the Boat. This is the four step. Rope Ladder - 4 Step Marine Rope Ladder, Portable Boat Folding Ladder for Inflatable Boat, Kayak, Motorboat, Canoeing (4 Step) https://a.co/d/6Jcj5lj

Last edited:
I went and bought an Onyx from Academy got it home and tried it on. I’m a big boy and it fit but I only had about an inch of strap left to let out. It fits a 52”chest. I’m diabetic and always battling with weight. Been doing good for a while but if I grow any this thing is useless.They don’t have anything larger so I searched online and found another Onyx 30”-63” chest , has more buoyancy and watched a video of a guy who deployed it and it holds your head up. The other one is being returned tomorrow. It was comfortable. I moved around in it sit down etc. It was just to close to running out of room. The bigger one has way mora ability and is built better. It’s right at double the cost but if it saves me one it’s a small price to pay. I’m also looking at a three step ladder that’s like a rope ladder for boats. I can put to anchor points to connect it to and leave it inside the boat but be able to reach it from the water and pull it out over the side.
Just have to pick the right spot where nothing ever gets put on it and it’s out of the way. I may roll it up put a couple of Velcro straps around it and it can hang just inside the Boat. This is the four step. Rope Ladder - 4 Step Marine Rope Ladder, Portable Boat Folding Ladder for Inflatable Boat, Kayak, Motorboat, Canoeing (4 Step) https://a.co/d/6Jcj5lj
I just check the USCG approved types of life jackets and this one is on the list for turning a person face up on there back.

Paying close attention to this thread. Plan on a lot of solo night fishing trips.
That’s my problem. The little lady and I don’t agree. She doesn’t want me going solo at night.
You think I’ll have trouble finding a partner?
I fished a few day time trips with a friend from church I met. Then he went north for the summer. He’s back now but I haven’t asked him yet.
I have seen people get a funny look when I mention night fishing. I can’t get my wife to understand why fish at night.
I’m thinking about just going one day and staying after dark for a while keeping in touch with her so she knows I’m ok.
I went solo one day and when I pulled anchor and moved to another spot she sent me a text while I had the Yamaha in my ear. I never thought of checking my phone. I just shut it down and started fishing. An hour later my phone went off and I answered it. I was in trouble! Now I check my phone regularly and sometimes take a picture of where I’m at and sending it to show her how nice it is.
I’ve thought about getting a hog dog tracker and wearing it and give her the other end so she can always see where I am.

Some phones have tracking built in through Google. Have to turn it on though. Watched my wife coming home from Odessa, Texas. When she made a wrong turn I called her and told her to go back and get the right road. Can be handy at times.

Some phones have tracking built in through Google. Have to turn it on though. Watched my wife coming home from Odessa, Texas. When she made a wrong turn I called her and told her to go back and get the right road. Can be handy at times.
If something did happen and I’m in the water the tracker will be there on my person. Phone might still be in the boat. I use it for an app I have for contour maps etc.

DouglasDzaster, is that XXL Onyx one of the auto inflate ones? I was looking and can't find that size.

I do a lot of solo fishing myself, at 73 mabey not a great idea, but I do go overboard with safety. I rarely stand in my 16' side console, I find myself on hands and knees most of the time, otherwise I would be bent over and hard on the back and safer than standing! I have had some balance issues and not bending over helps that. I no longer pull an anchor, instead use my spot lock, so much easier and safer than wrestling a 15lb anchor from a soft bottom and again having to stand up. Gotta keep that "What if" in your mind when solo and make smart decisions. My wife Doesn't like it either, but, if I sat home an just stared out the window, I probably wouldn't last very long

I do a lot of solo fishing myself, at 73 mabey not a great idea, but I do go overboard with safety. I rarely stand in my 16' side console, I find myself on hands and knees most of the time, otherwise I would be bent over and hard on the back and safer than standing! I have had some balance issues and not bending over helps that. I no longer pull an anchor, instead use my spot lock, so much easier and safer than wrestling a 15lb anchor from a soft bottom and again having to stand up. Gotta keep that "What if" in your mind when solo and make smart decisions. My wife Doesn't like it either, but, if I sat home an just stared out the window, I probably wouldn't last very long
Oh if I could only get her to let me spend the money on a spot lock with remote. That’s my dream trolling motor. But I just finished rebuilding most of the boat and she just found out how much I was spending. 😂
When rewiring I used all Ancor Marine wire and heat shrink connectors with the adhesive in them. Everything I did I did it to last.
I’m 57 now maybe I’ll get that spot lock in a few years. She wants me to be safe but complains about the $. Just recently my spare tire was dry rotted because it didn’t get replaced right after I got the boat. I got it today.
When I first got the boat I kept telling her I needed tires and one night coming home I had a blow out. I ended up calling her to bring me a crow bar and big hammer because it bent the fender to where I couldn’t get the tire off. She left bible study to come get me. The next day WE ordered two new wheels and tires.
I’m like you I intend to do all the fishing I can until I just can’t anymore. Then it’ll be my time.

This winter when it is to cold to do anything else I plan on making a simple rope ladder out of double braided. Spent a lot of time underway while in the Navy and learned how to splice double braided and do some fancy knots. Something simple but functional and decorative. Looks like I will be checking out Bass Pro for a decent life preserver. At 65 and all beat up I am planning on a lot of solo night fishing trips.

This winter when it is to cold to do anything else I plan on making a simple rope ladder out of double braided. Spent a lot of time underway while in the Navy and learned how to splice double braided and do some fancy knots. Something simple but functional and decorative. Looks like I will be checking out Bass Pro for a decent life preserver. At 65 and all beat up I am planning on a lot of solo night fishing trips.
The closest Bass Pro or Cabelas is about 2 hrs away from me. So I do all my ordering online. Mine will be here in about 5 days. I’ll let you know what I think about it when I have it in my hands.
Wish I knew how to tie those knots I’m all about diy. I drift with the Santee rig and make my own weights about 6 1/2” long and 2oz. Instead of buying them for $5 a piece and for the float close to the hook instead of buying Demond dragons for $8 each I bought a bag of them off Amazon that are clear and sealed the seems and painted them. So I have about $4 invested in each set up instead of $15. That hurts if you have to break off. 55# braid with 40# fluorocarbon leader , 8/0 circle hook or 6/0 for channels on a 8’ med/hvy. fast action rod and Abu Garcia 6500. I’m about to build my own planer boards out of some aluminum I have and left over foam board from the boat flooring I built save $80. I have a ladder in the Amazon cart. Picked up a second drift sock yesterday.
To bad you and I are so far apart we wouldn’t have to go solo.
The weather is finally out of the triple digits this week and got a good rain last night. Plan on making the first trip to Somerville since the boat checked out good here in a smaller lake. The wife even wants to go. Where going to skip church and head out about 5:00am to get there before daylight. Wind is supposed to be out of the north 7mph so I’m planning accordingly using the Navionics app for contours and marking spots on my big map that I haven’t fished before. Try to catch some shad and bluegill ( need more practice throwing a net from the boat and keep my footing , I’ll try my small 4’ net this time) Have the wife on the trolling motor and watching the sonar she don’t know it yet. Hopefully they’ll still be out of the deep water since the water temperature is dropping. I’ll hunt for bait close to the marina (lights). If not I’ll pull up to the marine and see what he’s got for bait. I don’t like using frozen shad fresher the better but I’ve still caught channel cat in the lake with frozen. Now if I pull out a net full of crappie after putting them back in the water get some minnows and change plans. 😂 It’s happen before. I lifted my big cast net out of the water and it was full of big crappie. It broke my heart to release them but that’s the law and it’s in place for a reason.
Gotta go and get the tires rotated on my Little Mule (name of my truck).
Y’all have a good day and keep your line tight.

“I do go overboard with safety.” For a moment I thought you were feeling for catfish or something. :)

“I do go overboard with safety.” For a moment I thought you were feeling for catfish or something. :)
Eating size and I’m going after big blue cats and flatheads. I’ve never caught anything over 30lb. On rod and reel then it was a black drum in saltwater. I have never caught a Flathead in my life. I even figured out how to use the timer for the camera on my phone and have charging ports in the boat because I figure when it happens no one’s going to be there to see it. And since I’m releasing the big catfish without a picture all I have is a story.

No way in hell would I stick my hand in some hole underwater looking for catfish !!! Talk about people with guts ...or crazy, not sure which....lol..

No way in hell would I stick my hand in some hole underwater looking for catfish !!! Talk about people with guts ...or crazy, not sure which....lol..

I'm with you on that. Noodling is right up there with sky diving on the list of things I don't want to do. What if I actually felt something other than mud. YIKES!

I have done it several times. I have to admit the last time was many moons ago.
I just can’t see myself doing it. I’ve seen guys reaching under a boat ramp and coming up with fish. I had a snake try to crawl into the boat with me once during a bass tournament and I pulled all the line I cold in so I could whip my rod at it. I heard laughing and there where two other tournament fishermen about to fall off their boat.