Prop - Is It Ok

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowe

Reaction score
While loading the boat today, I assumed the water I was loading in was deep enough, so when I put the boat on the trailer and the front came up a bit, my prop bit into the surface a little bit. It scared the edges up just a little on two of the blades and took a small piece out of another. It looks like it is still serviceable. Here are some pictures of the blades. I know, I know - Stainless Steel would of been fine. LOL

prop1.jpg

prop3.jpg

THIS IS THE ONE THAT GOT THE WORST END OF THE DEAL, BUT NOT TOO BAD THOUGH
prop2.jpg

Last pic is bad.I'd replace it.It is probably viberating,even if you can't feel it.Over time it will cause lower unit seal leaks and possible bearing damage.

Nope. The first two pictures are fine, and better than my prop (I hate to say that, just don't have the money to fix it), but the third is a little too bad. It will have cavitation problems, and yes, can ruin lower end bearings and seals.

The prop has alittle ding in it.
Is there someone near you that fixes props,wouldn't cost that much.
Stainless isn't always the answer because if you do hit something hard,,,something has to give,like a lower unit.
I've used props that looked worse then that but I'm not telling you to.

I am sort of in the same boat as not having the funds to replace the prop with a new one. If I can have it repaired, does anyone recommend business that can do that at a reasonable price?

Get is repaired - I do not know of anyone in your area, but we have a bunch of great shops aroudn here

Of course, we are much closer to teh ocean - so lots of boats

Sorry about your prop, juat installed a new 9.9 x 13" for my 25HP Nissan, my old one looked worse than yours.

Try looking on Ebay. I bought a second prop on there cheaper than I could pay to have one rehubbed from the local prop shop. It was around $65 for my 30hp Johnson.

Ouachita said:
Try looking on Ebay. I bought a second prop on there cheaper than I could pay to have one rehubbed from the local prop shop. It was around $65 for my 30hp Johnson.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

Looks way worse than mine, but I run a shallow river. Those first two pics arent even worth mentioning. The last one can't be good but like I said mine is worse. I have been running it for about a year now and still can't tell a difference from before I chipped it. Don't know how many horse yours is but mine is just a dinky 2.5. Would like to get a new one and even a spare for back-up but they want like 55 bucks for one through Merc. I have found one on Iboats for $11 bucks but not sure if it's the right one being it's so cheap. I didnt get any paperwork with it so I have no idea what year or model # or anything. New to the gas motor stuff and don't know a whole lot so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Latest posts