Prop vs. Jet

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennyg3

Reaction score
Two comparable boats. One with a 40hp prop motor, and one with a 60/40 jet. Would you notice a difference in performance? IE. holeshot, midrange, top end speed....

In theory they should. I think the jet would have a better holeshot. Not sure though because there is alot of variables.

IF the prop motor is "propped" correctly for the boat and load conditions, it should outperform the jet. Never seen a jet that impressed me unless it was running in a few inches of water. Louder, use more fuel, don't turn as well, slower, etc. BUT as I mentioned, they were designed for skinny water...and that is where they will run and hide from a prop driven boat.

i have a 60/40 and my buddy has a clone boat with a 50 prop.. i can get up and on plane faster, hes got a slightly higher top end. i can tilt his is broke so he might have a bit more on the top end.. his is a bit more stable, in hard turns i can break my boat loose and just slide across the water. but the fact that i can go places that make him pee down his leg a lil... thats y u go for a jet..

Any difference with say my 225 optimax with a jet, compared to a 150 propped optimax? I know there are a lot of variables with props, but most people I see with 150s on their HP180s run in the 60-65mph range. That seems almost unreasonable for me with a jet, doesn't it?

Your probably not gonna see those kinda speed from your boat with a jet. Maybe 50's, but hey that's still screaming along with a jet. Not sure I'd want to got hat fast in a heavy boat.Since your going to the 250 but your gonna probably gain a little more weight with the bigger motor. Prop motors are usaully able to get the hull up on the pad, less boat in the water they go faster. Jets have a harder time geting up on a pad and if the do I've heard they're near imposible to control.