Pweisbrod's 79 18' mr pike DUCK conversion/rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
long time no update. electrical is 65% finished. fish finder is installed and working, interior "see decoys in the dark" lights work, and the bilge pump works. i had to pull the carb to fix a stuck float, which unstuck as i turned the carb upside down. I didn't even get to see what had the carb stuck! :p The idle had settled down after getting the carbs "broke in" so I gave the idle adjustment two turns in, resynced the carbs and adjusted the follower cam, and she runs like a top thus far.

anyway, pics.

first crappie in the boat, a super dark male.

also decarbed the motor with some of the evinrude "engine tuner" -- man did it ever smoke! :D

Anyhow the boat is quite functional now. I am going to work on it a bit more slowly now and work the bugs out as I go. I also built a storage box that I mounted a drivers seat to, will get some pics of that soon.

lol....that's less than my 'rude smokes when cold. Maybe a carb rebuild is in order...I have noticed my plugs get oily quick.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319584#p319584 said:
Alex_c » Yesterday, 20:54[/url]"]lol....that's less than my 'rude smokes when cold. Maybe a carb rebuild is in order...I have noticed my plugs get oily quick.

Nah that's after I was done and letting it idle. It made a wall of white smoke that made it appear as if my house were on fire.

Thanks Dave. We did catch a bunch of Em. I miss the salt!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315718#p315718 said:
bigwave » 22 May 2013, 22:13[/url]"]Very nice switch layout.......simple and it looks good. Your camo job is killer too......I need to figure that out someday. =D> I have not found my artsy side yet. #-o

Check out ASAT Camo, www.asatcamo.com its simple and to the point but effective, and would be easy to paint onto a boat. It works great in the woods, I would suspect that it would work as well for duck hunting.

Thanks guys. She's coming along. I do wish I had a 90 horse etec on the back though:-/

added a telltale to the motor, see pics attached :)

drilled into the water jacket

Used the appropriately sized bit and 1/8-27 NPT tap to thread the hole

used an evinrude conversion kit to add the small plastic elbow, sealed it with TFE paste, and put on a short piece of 3/16 line to see how it worked. like a charm!

I have since added a long enough piece of hose to travel up over the block and back down to the "pee hole" - This is important so the block does NOT gravity drain when you shut the motor off. Hot motor getting cold water when you fire it up again is not good!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320693#p320693 said:
Country Dave » 12 minutes ago[/url]"]Soddenly I find myself having to go to the bathroom. :LOL2:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ha! Just remember to keep your eye on the ball. :shock:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320696#p320696 said:
SCARNG2011 » 1 minute ago[/url]"]Looks great! Love the paint job!

Thank you, the paint was relatively easy actually.

I am in the market for a "Back up" small outboard to hang on the transom, specifically to get me back to the dock if my large motor should fail (especially for duck season) - i was thinking 5-10 hp. does anyone have any particular suggestions? I suppose I might use it every once in a while for trolling, but I don't really see that happening much other than just to make sure it still works LOL. a short shaft would still be okay for this particular purpose, IMO. Let me know what you guys think! (Dave, Bagger, bigwave?)

News on the front: should have around 500 bucks coming in from other various sales to fund the blind build and possible back up plan motor. Does anyone have any help with what to pick? Has to be gas powered in case I'm on real big water. Trolling motor wouldn't push me 18 miles lol

Picked up a Suzuki "back up plan" motor for cheap. Was used on a sailboat since brand new... Low hors. :D

Also took some pics of the rest of the boat, need to get Em up.

A few pics showing the storage box/drivers seat I built, and my new kicker motor that is yet to be painted.

Got my nav lights wired up and burnt 3ish gallons of fuel last night making waves on the river. I am struggling to "clean up" and "organize" my wires a la johnboat Jerry or bad bagger or country Dave, but the wiring itself is for now complete, I am now just working on organizing it and getting it out of the way. I hope to be done with the boat itself in the next week, and start work on the blind after that.

My dad has been a huge help to me through this with the wiring, I really wouldn't have been able to so it without him.

Ps I get tons of complements on this rig, I wonder if duck dynasty is changing America that much LOL. Everyone loves it, especially the paint, which is ironic.... Because that was the easiest part of the whole stinkin project! [-X

Anyhow, off to church, will get some pics up later. To God be the glory :D

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321724#p321724 said:
willsbarbour » 09 Jul 2013, 10:00[/url]"]Incredible transformation from the red hull to a camo killing machine! Really like what you did with the raised gunnels. Any thoughts on a pop up blind?

I am actually thinking of going with a hard blind! I haven't decided yet. I can't stomach the cost of a commercially available blind, and conduit pop ups seem flimsy to me, so well see. I will probably weld up my cage blind or hard blind and see how I like that for a season.

Awesome job man. What type of primer did you use on the motor? I'm looking to do a full paint job on mine as well.

Latest posts