Question about drainpipe length.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ail

Reaction score
So I decided to install a 1 inch aluminum drainpipe through my transom and transom skin. I bored a 1" hole, and the pipe fits like a glove, it should seal perfectly with a slobbering of 5200. My issue is, is that the pipe actually sticks out approximately 3/16ths of an inch too far from the back, and flaring the pipe flush would be a no go without shortening it. (Unless I am missing something about the process altogether.)

So my question is, should I use a pipe cutter and take some of it off, and flare it, or can I leave it hang out the extra length and just seal it up with 5200, and then a coat of epoxy resin around the back end for extra protection against the transom? It wouldn't interfere with my trolling motor, and I could always cut it off and flare it later on if I wanted.

Sorry if I am being unclear or the situation, thanks in advance.

Cut it to the right length. If you try to flare it and it's too long, the flared end cracks. Not a big deal if it does, but it just doesn't look good.

Cut it down, smear it with 5200, install and flare. Done. Did my bass boat same way; came out perfect (after ruining one that I didn't cut to length). Tube cutter works great for cutting it. Nice and square.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362564#p362564 said:
turbotodd » 06 Aug 2014, 23:11[/url]"]Cut it to the right length. If you try to flare it and it's too long, the flared end cracks. Not a big deal if it does, but it just doesn't look good.

Cut it down, smear it with 5200, install and flare. Done. Did my bass boat same way; came out perfect (after ruining one that I didn't cut to length). Tube cutter works great for cutting it. Nice and square.

Thanks man. :mrgreen:

i0kaXBv.jpg

This is what I did today with it, and where I left it. My lock-nut was too big to flare with so I just left the pipe hang back for now. A few taps with a rubber mallet after drowning it in 5200 gave it a good solid seal. I went overkill and then sealed both sides with an extra coat of epoxy resin.

I will check for a smaller bolt/lock-nut at work and decide later if I want to cut and flare it.

Latest posts