Questions about an Alumacraft 16 ft. Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dskingma

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been looking a used aluminum boat for inland lake fishing and came across an Alumacraft 16 foot (60 inch wide) It looks like it could be a MV 1648, the owner wasn't sure. The owner thinks the boat is 8 years old and appears to be in good condition. I'd be using this boat for inland lake fishing and am wondering how stable this type of boat is. I love the length and the width, but want something that's more stable than less. . I'm a pretty big guy at 6'4" and 255lbs. I'd often have my son or a buddy with me as well. He's asking $1500 for the boat and a 9.9 Envinrude. I'd have to buy a trailer as he no longer has his.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Have a great 4th!

~ Dave

Have a 2011 Alumacraft 1650 MV and use a Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust with it while fishing a medium sized lake and large rivers. I am considering 40 hp jet for steelhead and salmon fishing in the Big Manistee and Muskegon rivers here in Michigan, but that is a ways off. The vessel's utility and stability are excellent in my opinion.

This boat is a recent purchase and measures 66 inches at the widest part of the outside rails, but 48 inches on the inside of the floor. My setup has the factory installed floor and the sides are also covered which seem to extend about 3 inches from the sides of the boat. There are no ribs showing.

For my needs, the lack of a center seat fits the bill, but your interests may vary. Can't say enough good things about my Alumacraft. Good luck and good fishing.

Strander - Thank you for the reply. I'm in Michigan as well. Have a great summer!

Dave

Call size on boats are length and bottom measurement. I don't think I have ever seen a 16' boat with a 48" beam (the width across the top) but I want to be clear because width is a very important factor in stability. I think a 16/48 would be very stable but not for the great lakes.

I weight 275 and my son is a bit over 300 and the 14/48 flat jon I bought last fall is very stable with both of us. We may even add an elevated seat to the front platform as he was quite happy up there on a 5 gallon bucket last week.

Get he and the boat in the water for a test trip before you part with that much cash.

EDIT: Just to be clear on the numbers. My 14/48 has a 67" beam.

Colbyt - Thanks for clarifying. I'm fairly new to boat hunting and am learning more each day.

I wouldn't be taking this boat out on the great lakes as I prefer inland lake fishing. I'm hoping to take the boat for a spin next week.

~ Dave

Latest posts