Questions about Mariner and using Mercury Parts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sturdi87

Reaction score
I have a 40 hp Mariner. The plate on the motor reads like this "MARINER 40E 6E9 L 4026XX." This doesn't match up exactly with anything I have found, but the best I can tell this means it is Model: 40EL, Serial 6E9 4026XX? If that is the case, according to the table here https://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/608047 it is a 1982?

After doing some reading on Mariner basically what I gather is that it began as a partnership between Mercury and Yamaha, and from what I have read that the motors were produced by Yamaha to Mercury specifications. I have read that newer Mariners are basically or are exactly like their Mercury counterparts, and I think I read that Yamaha stopped building them at some point.

On the serial tag on my motor it reads "MADE IN JAPAN." Near that tag are two more tags, one reads "Made in Japan for Mariner International Co. Fond Du Lac, Wis, U.S.A." and the other says "Passed Inspected by Japanese Government No. 7504"

So here is my question, will parts for say a 1982 Mercury 40hp long shaft be direct replacement parts, or will they work? Or do I need to be looking at Yamaha parts? Or newer Merc or Yamaha parts? I'm thinking I should be looking at Merc parts though.

Specifically, I am missing the link arm for the steering. As far as I can tell I have the tilt tube. It looks like the previous owner used a clamp block set up for steering but I don't have the clamp block, just the post for it that is mounted on the transom. I think I would rather set it up tilt tube style. And I'm sure I'll eventually need to replace other parts!

So anything anyone can tell me about this motor would be helpful and/or how to setup the steering and the connection to the steering cable it would be much appreciated!

It's a Yami. Not sure weather they had Merc & Yami parts both but it's for sure a Yami powerhead. You could look at Iboats.com and find steering stuff.

Nick

thanks, excuse my ignorance, so you are saying the parts equivalents would be yami parts? As in it is a yami design not a merc design motor? Sorry I am still not completely clear?

well s***, I just ordered a steering link arm from iboats, the one listed as for a 60-120hp Merc, I figured it would work, and actually I still figure it will work. (Note: I also bought a brand new steering system, as in cable, helm, etc from iboats also to use with this.)

But I'll post on here if it works or not and pics, in case anyone else runs into this issue. Or else I'll comment on how good iboats is at returning things!

Yeah it's a Yami design sold and marketed by Merc (Mariner). I'm pretty sure yours is all Yamaha, the powerhead, mid, lower, clamp etc. Confused yet? It gets better. Later in life Mariner was basically a knock off Merc, only in grey color. Some stuff, like the 75HP 3 cyl motors, are old Chrysler designs with Merc lowers and midsections. It becomes a royal pain working on some of this stuff.

Long story short I'd think if you went to Iboats and said you had an early 80's Jap Mariner they'd be able to accomidate that.

Good luck
Nick

Latest posts