Ranger 374V Deck extension

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Thought I'd share this project, as it is a little different than what I usually post. Sure, the boat's not 'loominum, but the addition is, so in my eyes, it counts. :lol:

Anyway, customer brought by a Ranger 374, tired of the lack of storage, and wanted a deck extension. No problem.

Plenty of wasted space here. We decided to split the extension into two hatches, one in front of the console, and one right in the middle.
IMG_2763_zps60c0d274.jpg

IMG_2765_zps54b9e215.jpg

IMG_2766_zpse6dfd365.jpg

For a couple reasons, I built these as two separate boxes, connecting them later. So, I started with the box in front of the console. Notice the beveled bottom. The bottom of the bulkheads in this boat have a radius, and I didn't want the box sitting on that radius (or touching the gel coat, where it could scratch it), hence the beveled corners.

Fitting of 3 sides/bottom.
IMG_2768_zps324d7b6d.jpg

Final side on - tackup for this box is complete.
IMG_2778_zps51553375.jpg

Now, we start on the second box.
IMG_2771_zpsbe21fae5.jpg

Add a few more pieces.
IMG_2781_zps33ba1bbc.jpg

Now, we're ready to pull the boxes back out, and watertight weld them.
IMG_2782_zps896fb99d.jpg

Next, we add the perimeter deck piece. This gives a mounting surface for the hinges.
IMG_2786_zps2dfa057d.jpg

As you can probably see, there are little bits of carpet as spacers. The entire deck extension is undersized by the carpet thickness, so the carpet can wrap down the sides. This gives a clean wrapped carpet look, but more importantly, isolates the fiberglass from the aluminum, so coupled with the beveled lower corners, there is no chance of the aluminum scratching the gel coat, if for some reason, he wants to remove the extension.

IMG_2787_zps896558ae.jpg

IMG_2791_zpsfaa5d821.jpg

Then, we add carpet and some lids. Unfortunately, black carpet does fade in the sun a fair amount, so getting new carpet that matches the old is an exercise in futility. The color difference is more noticeable in the photo than in person, but it is there. If an exact color match is required, it usually will require a recarpet of the entire boat.

IMG_2793_zpsec47f913.jpg

IMG_2794_zpsebaa66d4.jpg

IMG_2796_zps8d17ffca.jpg

IMG_2798_zpsee898c35.jpg

IMG_2801_zps7abf2523.jpg

IMG_2802_zps37903dfa.jpg

That looks good, I want to do something similar to that on my boat eventually with like a cooler and a bit of storage, like a step down like on the pro style bass boats!

Latest posts