Rear mount stick steer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulate34

Reaction score
Hi fellow tin bashers

I am in the middle of re-building my 14ft deep V.
This is a multi species boat with downriggers I also bear hunt with it in the spring. I live in northern Canada and stick steer is very rare up here. Haven’t found anyone that’s actually used one or knows what they are.

My boat was set up with a Foward centre/side console and a 40hp merc 2 stroke. Boat whips along. But being up in the bow you get pounded pretty good when the water picks up.

I am changing it up so I am in the rear and when my buddies in the front they can turn around and fish and we can chat while im looking Foward and driving.
We do mostly trolling so looking out the back of the boat is a must.

My question is why don’t you see stick steer mounted further back? Everything I see online is Foward mount and your fishing buddy is behind you.

Any reason you can’t mount a stick control in the rear of the boat?

My thoughts are, it would be open and easy for me to step up to the downriggers to work them. Also a open floor for casting or fly fishing.

What do you guys think

Attachments

• 98CA0B75-9BDF-43D1-8971-725B788C1144.jpeg
    98CA0B75-9BDF-43D1-8971-725B788C1144.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 307
I think with stick steer you see them towards the front of the boat because they use a steering cable. You can only get them so short. It's possible to convert to a tiller.

Ez Glide is going to make me a 6.5’ cable.
I’ll be sitting 4ft Foward of the transom.

Definitely not into a tiller. Very uncomfortable on the long hauls. I’ll run 1-2hrs to fishing spots. Or even when I’m hunting. I can be cruzing just on plane for most of the day. Tiller gets sore for me.

Interesting concept. Thinking of mounting the controls on the bench face or the side of the boat? Be cool if mounted out of the way. 14 ft boat going to pound in the waves no matter what you do however I agree it's felt less in the stern.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

My plan is to have them mounted on either side of the driver chair. Kinda like excavator controls.

I am having Gunwale caps made. That will bring in the gunwale 8” each side of the boat. Once they are installed I will get a better feel for the placement.

I have rear stick steering on Skandy White 14 tunnel hull. The original owner ordered it that way. The steering and throttle control are mounted to brackets attached to each side of the seat pedestal. It works ok but i usually fish by myself and like the weight distribution steering from the front seat so am converting it.

I plan to have this setup whenever I can get a 14ft vhull. I have all of the components already, and actually was planning to attach the controls to a cooler that will be strapped down in the back. I need to remove the motor since too many thieves so I want it "portable" - thought it wont be that easy by myself lol. I have a 15HP 2stroke Yamaha so its not terribly heavy.

I plan to have this setup whenever I can get a 14ft vhull. I have all of the components already, and actually was planning to attach the controls to a cooler that will be strapped down in the back. I need to remove the motor since too many thieves so I want it "portable" - thought it wont be that easy by myself lol. I have a 15HP 2stroke Yamaha so its not terribly heavy.
Your concern about thieves is very well taken. For my 15 hp on the 12 ft and the 25 hp on the 16 ft, I scrounged around a metal recycle yard until I found a length of square steel tubing that would fit over the clamps.

I used a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder to cut a slot in it that would slide over the clamps, then drilled holes in the end for a bicycle lock.

They're a home made version of this: https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Motor...FPnX-ecCSb1ILEkyViOQ16hXH043PTTUaAuEFEALw_wcB

It won't stop a determined thief - nothing will - but it'll sure slow him down and Will stop a casual opportunist.

I can understand your interest in a rear steer. Many years back in my younger days I owned a 15' Lyman with rear steer. That was ideal for driving and talking to your guests as well as easy to fish out of. No one has made a similiar model since, that I know of. Today I have a side console, about as clise to a rear steer as I can find without making something custom...

Latest posts