Rebuilding memories and making new ones (1986 GAME FISHER)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJBombar

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I'm new to the site and after a few weeks of admiring all of your modifications I have decided to post my own. I'm rebuilding my families old aluminum boat with my two kids (11 and 7) and my girlfriend. My goal is to make the "old girl" more fishing oriented with the option of using it for duck hunting. This old boat has been in my family for 20 years and has had almost no care thrown its way. I'm here to get some great ideas, learn from you all and make some new friends along the way. So here we go............

Attachments

• The beginning.jpg
    The beginning.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 2,404
hi. welcome to tinboats.

it's a nice boat. not too shabby for a 20 year old. it is in better shape than many i've seen posted here prior to the mods. looking forward to your progress.

what size? looks like it's big enough for an adult with 2 kids....

First thing that comes to my mind is to check out all the wood on the boat for rot and wear. Replaced the rotted wood and clean up/recoat/repaint/refinish any wood that's in good shape, but showing wear.

Second thing I see is you could probably build a frame using aluminum hat channel (easiest to install) or L-channel to support a low deck by attacking to the ribs I see in the picture. (Yes, I see the running fore to aft and are spaced too far apart to support a deck by themselves.) Adding a frame attached to them would make for enough strength to build a level floor. The aluminum or plywood over the top and you're set. I suggest aluminum framing to save on weight if possible. Scrap aluminum is cheaper, btw.

Third, using some solid rivets, attach L-channel to the hull at the front of the boat to support a raised front deck for a foot controlled trolling motor. This wouldn't be for you to stand on, just to get the right height for a trolling motor.

Fourth, read through the mods forum to get ideas for modding your boat as well as "how to" information. Lots of information there to chew on.

So a little bit more information on the boat that I failed to mention. Its a 1986 14 foot Game Fisher. Havent actually heard of that make before but it appears to be a well made boat. If anyone has more information about that I would like to learn more.

Thanks for the great responses and all the wood checks out. Minus the exterior rear transom piece which doesn't leak but is definately showing its age.

My plans are simple so far....add some wood bench seats and a casting deck up front. Carpet over them using outdoor marine carpet and then build some storage boxes somewhere. I did cut the front casting deck out with some help from my girlfriend and then added the Thompsons water sealer for protection.

Attachments

• casting deck.jpg
    casting deck.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 2,325
Oh one more thing to J.P and DaveInGA. I checked out both of your builds and they are amazing!!!. Thanks for the responses and look forward to sharing my build and please keep the input coming. One question......do I need to prime the inside with aluminum primer before painting or would I be good to just scuff it up and paint since its already painted? Thanks

Attachments

• casting deck and seat.jpg
    casting deck and seat.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 2,319
So I spent some time today cutting some bench seat tops out of plywood. Put the Thompson water sealer to them and finished with carpet. Its amazing the difference some carpet can make!!! I was slightly concerned about the added weight to the boat but after a quick test ride I was relieved that the boat felt more stable than ever!!!!! Oh yeah added a new anchor rope and some rod holders today too. The boat is being kept at my camp and I haven't picked up a trailer yet so its a 45 min drive each way to work on it. Well worth it but I feel like this would be much easier if it was in my garage...... :eek:

Attachments

• CARPETING.jpg
    CARPETING.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 2,268
Can anyone tell me if they know of a company that sells these corner braces?

Attachments

• BRACES.jpg
    BRACES.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,265
Yes I did thank you......Ive tried to do a little research on the boat but all the 14 footers I seem to find are fiberglass. Can anyone think of the last thing they bought from Sears that lasted 26 Years!!!!! Thanks for the response. :D

DJBombar said:
Can anyone tell me if they know of a company that sells these corner braces?

Hello and welcome to Tinboats! Nice to see some more New Englanders on the forum!

About those corner braces, Honestly you're better off making some. If a company does sell them I'm sure they want top dollar being a 'specialty item' and all. Go to Lowes/HD/Hardware store and find a small sheet of thick gauge aluminum. Drill out the old rivets and use the old piece as a template. It should be relatively simple to cut it to shape and you can probably score all the materials (minus the rivet gun, which you could always return when done haha) needed for under $20 to re do all three braces (both stern corners and the one at the bow) if ya wanted them all new.

Your boat is the "big brother" to my 87 10' Gamefisher, that extra 4' sure does look handy haha. Even though I don't need to replace them, I'm going to re-do my braces using diamond plate for looks. Do you have a motor for her yet? Can't wait to see how it turns out and see some pics of her on the water!

Mike

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the great reply!!! I was thinking about making my own corner braces out of diamond plate also but I was concerned about cutting and shaping. So you have the ten footer huh? Have you done any mods to it?

I was hoping to work on the boat today but the weather had other ideas. Planning on going up to my camp Sunday afternoon to finish the front bench seat and install a small cutting board on the rear seat to help keep the crawler crud off my new carpet. :LOL2:

Dave

Sorry Mike I forgot to add that I have a 1978 or 1979 Johnson 9.9 Engine for it. I think its a 9.9 anyways. I will double check over the weekend. The engine has been at camp its entire life (Been through two boats) and is running as strong as ever. Gotta love the old two strokes. What are you using?

Dave

A 9.9 must move that along nicely! That's great that you've had it for so long and it's still purring. Sure says something about their quality! I'm only using a little 2.2 Mercury for now, it gets going for what it is. Next season I'll probably opt for a bigger motor so I can cover bigger lakes. About mods to mine, Yes I've done a few but still not done. You can check out my build at https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26977

But enough about my little tin, this thread is about yours and I hope to see some pics of her on the water soon! About cutting the diamond plate, That's pretty easy just make sure to wear some safety glasses/ear plugs (obviously) and some long sleeves (those shavings can get hot). I'd use a jig saw for ease of shaping, if you don't have access to one, a circular/table saw (a little harder to get good shape angles but still possible) or even a high speed cut off wheel either/or with a carbide blade will do the trick. If you use a jig or other toothy blade, keep it lubed so it doesn't stick and cause the plate to jump around on ya. Then clean up the cut with a grinder, belt sander or a lot of hand sanding haha.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks for all the tips Mike. Checked out your build and it looks awesome. I absolutly love the colors on your boat. I was hoping to do the same types of colors on mine. How is the Rhino Liner holding up on the bottom?

Dave

Sure is refreshing to have a girlfriend who likes to fish..... :D She caught this a few weeks ago while drifting on Lake Champlain.

Attachments

• Last try.jpg
    Last try.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,167
DJBombar said:
Yes I did thank you......Ive tried to do a little research on the boat but all the 14 footers I seem to find are fiberglass. Can anyone think of the last thing they bought from Sears that lasted 26 Years!!!!! Thanks for the response. :D

Pretty sure that the Game Fishers were made by Sea Nymph for Sears. I bought a couple of Sea Nymphs in the 80's. In the 90's Lowe acquired Sea Nymph.

If you search for Sea Nymph you'll find all sorts of info.

Curious - I think Lowes bought Sea Nymph around 1971. According to Wikapedia, Lowes started business in 1971 with the first year they sold a boat under their name being 1972. The Sears Gamefisher seems to have gone on the market about the same time. If Lowes is the parent company of Sea Nymph about this time, does this mean that Lowes made the Sear's aluminum Gamefisher?

What name did the Sear's aluminum boats go under before around 1972? Were these also made by Sea Nymph?

The wooden boats and kit boats appear to have been made by Angler Boat company and they were sold under the Elgin name. Angler also seems to have made some of the fiberglass boats along with MFG.

DJBombar said:
One question......do I need to prime the inside with aluminum primer before painting or would I be good to just scuff it up and paint since its already painted? Thanks
Generally speaking, you're better off, especially if the old paint has oxidized or is peeling, to strip and remove it. I'm having good luck using Rustoleom aluminum primer by the quart. It's affordable and goes a long way since you use thin coats.

Hey dj, the water level in your first pic looks pretty low. Is that in Vermont? The fam and I are heading up next week, I heard the lakes are low.
Nice Work on the restoration so far.
Andy

So Work2Fish the lake is REALLY low right now and yes that is Lake Champlain in Vermont. Probably the lowest I have ever seen it. Even after raining for three solid days I still could have moved my docks out another four feet in a week.

DaveInGA thanks for the tips. After seeing how your build turned out I will definately be following some of your advice so keep it coming.

nlester and donmac thanks for the info on the boat. Seems like my old Game Fisher is a mystery of parentage :D

Latest posts