Rehabbing Old Baitcasting Reels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
After some shipping mishaps I finally received a lot of three older baitcasters I won on eBay. After holding them in my hands I can tell one of them is probably a good candidate for a resell, but the other two might just need some work, and that's my question.

I'm not really sure of the state of these reels right now. Do you guys know of any checklist I should go through to analyze their worth? It's most definitely winter here, but I could put some new line on them and cast them around a parking lot.

Also, my guess is they need to be serviced in some way. Should I get some reel oil? Reel lube? Is there a difference?

Any input on getting these reels up to snuff (or at least to the point where I can make a judgment on their worth) would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Reels2.jpg
    Reels2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 695
I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I do clean my reels often. I do alot of bank fishing and they get dirty. There's oil and grease. The oil is for the bearings or bushings. The grease is for the worm shaft, and gears. I tear the real down, and clean it. I lube it while putting it back together. A light coat of grease on the gears, and worm shaft. A light coat of oil on the level wind, and the shafts it rides on. If the spool is riding on bushings, check that they are not worn out. If so then I would replace them with some cheap ball bearings.

Take 'em apart and have a close look at the gears and bearings. If there is wear then you need to consider whether you have the skill/time/money to replace them. If the bearings and gears look good give the reel a good cleaning. You clean with an alcohol soaked swab. One of those compressed air canisters that are used for cleaning computer keyboards is also a good investment. Once clean, lubricate and reassemble.

Thanks for the tips, you guys. I'm going to get my hands on some oil and grease this weekend. Hey, and great thought about the keyboard cleaner. I didn't think about that, but it's a great idea.

Also, I use a large sheet of white paper to lay out all the reel parts when disassembled. Helps prevent losing small parts.

That's a good idea too.

I'm going to the Fishing Expo in Madison, WI this weekend. I think I'm going to try to pick up a reel cleaning kit. (And maybe some other awesome stuff too. Today's my birthday after all. I can reward myself a little. :LOL2: )

Latest posts