Removable Transducer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMYTHEFISH

Reaction score
Awesome Website guys! Keep it up. I racked my brain trying to come up with an idea to mount my transducer. Its on a Topper 1436 that I usually toss in my truck, and drag around at launch ramps. So I knew I couldnt simply mount the transducer to the transom. It had to be removable for transport.
Here is what I came up with. Just needed 1in PVC an 1 1/4in PVC, a little paint and 4 pipe straps. It looks a little bulky but its sturdy and portable.

The white unpainted ends are 1in and slide into the 1 1/4 in PVC mounted inside the transom.

I couldnt see spending $40 at BPS on their version. I did this for around $12 and had fun doing it.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 909
  • TM Pipes.JPG
    TM Pipes.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 909
  • Transducer hardware.JPG
    Transducer hardware.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 909
  • Transducer Mounting Pipes.JPG
    Transducer Mounting Pipes.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 909
  • Transducer painting.JPG
    Transducer painting.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 909
you did good JIMMY THE FISH , I mounted mine to the trolling motor, because it is a transom mount .
and I remove the trolling motor during transport . the 10' jon boat is a little longer than my short bed.
if I need to replace the trolling motor I will use your idea.

Thanks . I was tempted to use the trolling motor mount idea myself. I have a transom mount Tm I hope to move to the bow and get a little Outboard. Thanks for looking and good luck.

hay jimmy the fish , I only had the plastic part of the mount and tie raped it in place until I can get the right hose clamps.
as they say budget fix for now.

Hey there Drum,
That sounds like it will work just fine. The things we have to do huh... Do you have any plans to get a trailer? That would solve so many of my problems. I can't add anymore weight to the boat as I have to lift it in and out of my truck. So I spend a lot of time at the launch ramp putting the batteries, trolling motor and all the tackle in.

jimmy the fish, if you make a boat dolly, it will help with loading as well. I plan on making one soon, using 2 2x4 and a 2x6, an axel and two law mower tires. I have seem them made of plastic for kayaks , so I figure it can't be to hard to make.

Yeah, I may start bringing by Kayak Dolly to help me get the boat up the ramp to flat ground for an easier load in. It is rated for 300 pounds. Thanks

Attachments

• Dolly.jpg
    Dolly.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 692
  • Dolly View.jpg
    Dolly View.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 692
Nice work Jimmy, here is a portable setup the S.A.R. people were using because they had
different boats for searching. It came with my HB1197c I purchased from them.
The GPS antenna mounted on the top and the ducer was mounted on the bottom.
All the wiring was run to the 1197 and powered from a cigarette/12v outlet.
I just stuck it on the canoe to take the pics....Jerry

Attachments

• transome mount 001s.jpg
    transome mount 001s.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 656
  • transome mount 002s.jpg
    transome mount 002s.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 656
  • transome mount 005s.jpg
    transome mount 005s.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 656
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315121#p315121 said:
drum » 18 May 2013, 07:17[/url]"]jimmy the fish, if you make a boat dolly, it will help with loading as well. I plan on making one soon, using 2 2x4 and a 2x6, an axel and two law mower tires. I have seem them made of plastic for kayaks , so I figure it can't be to hard to make.[/quote

Drum - You are right, simple to make and easy to use.
I saw this one time and so I copied it and made a few changes. With an empty boat, you just have to sit the front of the dolly on the tailgate and then push dolly as far as you can, lift the back up and finish pushing it into the truck or SUV. When I turned 68 years old I started using a couple of 2x6 boards as a ramp for the front of the dolly and a cable winch to load the boat. Using the cable winch, I could load the boat without having to unload all of the gear. I added some handles and pvc bunks to the basic design. I also added some rubber bumpers that sit on the boat ramp to the front cross member so that the dolly does not try to skid up the ramp, when I load the boat. The hardest thing was calling around to the lawnmower shops until I found one with some used wheels big enough for rough ground. If I am going to travel a long ways or on rough ground, I slide the boat back so the weight is balanced just slightly ahead of the wheels. i tried making one out of plastic but after a few months, the plastic started cracking at the joints. This wooden version is about 3 years old.

The left of my transom is where I clamp on my portable transponder mount. i used a suction cup for several years before I bought the aluminum bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_4220.jpg
    IMG_4220.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_4219.jpg
    IMG_4219.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_4218.jpg
    IMG_4218.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 650

Latest posts