Removing Bench Seats & Adding Front & Rear Decks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have every addition to the boat weighed. All of the ply, the aluminum framing for the floor, 2x4's used for storage box frames, screws, bolts, motor, bilge pump, gas can, seats, etc. If it did not come on that boat when I bought it, it was weighed. The reason I didn't have an exact (835-850) is between my buddy and I with boots, clothing, etc. I gave a 15 lb buffer. But I made sure I knew EXACTLY what was going into the boat. Even weighed the Primer & Sealer that was used on the decks.

The boat is considered an 11.5' Semi-V, but it measures 11' 10" so close enough to 12. Semi-V meaning it has a V front but about 1/3 of the way back it tapers to a flat bottom boat. It has a 48" beam and came from the factory at 105 lbs. In total with everything said and done I added about 260 lbs to the boat. That's decks, motor, trolling motor, batteries, seats, etc. It has a rating of 4 persons (600 lbs) plus a 5hp motor (60lbs), so I still have 400 lbs left to spare. And that's only going by the max persons & motor, not the actual MAX LOAD / CAPACITY. The boat is old enough it never came with a capacity tag. Or any tag for that matter, so I basically went in blind. But when I floated it the other day, the only thing that wasn't installed was the motor, rear battery, and gas can so I used weights in the back to mimic the weight (plus I added an additional 25lbs to be safe).

As far as the foam thing goes, my boat was done with air. Meaning the 2 seats that were in the boat from the factory were welded closed. When I modified the interior I moved the center air box and attached it to the back seat so essentially the flotation wasn't altered, just moved. But since I now have all of the factory flotation in the back (which is great for having the motor back there) I calc'd the Cubic Feet of the flotation boxes and added that amount of 1" foam board (pink panther stuff) to the aluminum framing for the new floor. So technically I almost doubled the amount of flotation from the factory by adding all of the Pink Stuff. Flotation won't be an issue, God forbid I ever sink the thing.

I have done hundreds of hours of research and tried to cover EVERY possible scenario. Given, I did add quite a bit extra weight to the boat, but it was all distributed evenly, everything was accounted for in dealing with capacity of the boat, and when put together and launched, it passed the test with flying colors - even after I added 250 extra pounds over the 4 person rating just to see what it could handle. If the 4 person & Motor max is 660 lbs, I'm coming in after all the modifications, new motor, etc at 525-550 lbs, or maybe 600 lbs if I bring the dog, so I am still below the generic 4 person rating. And, that's not ever the boats true MAX weight limit. I don't know what that it, and I'd rather not find out.

Cheers

richg99 said:
Sounds good. Amazing what our little boats can handle.

richg99

I would have thought 850 lbs would have had that water up to the top rivets along the rail for sure. Not even close though. I was very pleased.

Latest posts