Reworking Electrial

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl008018

Reaction score
Previous owner had an old style pull switches and a separate fuse bank. Safe to assume I can replace both with a newer switch bank with the built in fuses? This would for sure allow me to cut down on the amount of wires.

Also, he had this guest switch installed. Any reason I need to keep it? There is only 1 battery for everything except for another 12v battery just for the trolling motor. There is no built in charger system.

A new trolling motor is on order so I have not read the install instructions. Can it be wired directly to the batter or is a fuse or switch best practice to have in place?

There is a 12v cigarette charger plug in the font and back of the boat. Can those be linked and ran to one of the switches? A phone charger is what these are used for.

The motor is a 20hp tiller with electric start. Should that be simply attached to the battery or should it have some sort of fuse or switch between it and the battery?

Sorry for the amount of questions and thanks in advance for the help!!!

Attachments

• 20160228_084022.jpg
    20160228_084022.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 664
  • 20160228_084036.jpg
    20160228_084036.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 664
Previous owner had an old style pull switches and a separate fuse bank. Safe to assume I can replace both with a newer switch bank with the built in fuses? This would for sure allow me to cut down on the amount of wires.

Yes. "built in fuses" you probably mean circuit breakers. That should work out just fine.

Also, he had this guest switch installed. Any reason I need to keep it? There is only 1 battery for everything except for another 12v battery just for the trolling motor. There is no built-in charger system.

I'd keep it if it is working properly. I wish I had one on mine. Nothing better than being certain that, no matter how many switches I might have left on...the entire circuit is shut down when I leave the boat. Keeps you from taking her out, and THEN finding your battery run down because you left the lights on. Please don't ask me how I know that.

A new trolling motor is on order so I have not read the install instructions. Can it be wired directly to the battery or is a fuse or switch best practice to have in place?

Most of them will call for a 30/40/50 amp circuit breaker to be placed in-line close to the battery.

There is a 12v cigarette charger plug in the font and back of the boat. Can those be linked and ran to one of the switches? A phone charger is what these are used for.

Yes

The motor is a 20hp tiller with electric start. Should that be simply attached to the battery or should it have some sort of fuse or switch between it and the battery?

No fuse or switch on mine, or any other boat that I ever owned.

regards, and welcome.. richg99

Latest posts