Rhyan Craft: Now BRINE CRAFT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishinchef said:
What about bolting on an aftermarket style eyelet?

Like to use it as a last resort I guess. There has to be someone close to me that would do this for less than $50. If I can't get someone to do it for less than $30, I'll buy a bolt on.

Brine, mine was missing completely (ripped out). I bought an aftermarket stainless steel one (Bass Pro, less than $10.00), and beefed up the aluminum before bolting. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• Jon boat pics III 050.jpg
    Jon boat pics III 050.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,730
Ben2go, you can't see the other side of mine, but it ties into the front deck as well with another aluminum plate added. It's solid as a rock, with no flex at all. It won't crack the aluminum on my application. Granted it would be tougher to do with the v-hull.

fullmoon said:
Ben2go, you can't see the other side of mine, but it ties into the front deck as well with another aluminum plate added. It's solid as a rock, with no flex at all. It won't crack the aluminum on my application. Granted it would be tougher to do with the v-hull.

Yes and you have a flat bow,Brine does not.He has a V hull.

P8030021.jpg

Yes, I saw the picture of his bow. I'm only trying to give him an alternative idea he could do himself without having to take his rig to a welder. There are two, maybe three layers of aluminum there if there is another piece inside to match the one outside. If done properly I don't see a problem with a bolt-on. Just my .02

Brine, one more idea. Could you lower your winch stand enough to get the bow stop below the eye? It looks like you have some room to lower it about 2".

Ben/FM,
Thanks for the responses.

FM,
I think Ben was explaining that my hull (the point of contact with the eye) is not flat. It is at a point. I'm familiar with how this would have to bolt on, because I had to do it with the v-hull I currently fish out of. It entailed bending washers to conform to the inside of the boat as well as a bunch of silicone to fill in the voids. It works, and it would on my new boat, but I would prefer a weld. Indeed, if the front of my boat was flat like yours, I would be bolting it on. Yours looks good and sturdy with the extra aluminum you put up there.
fullmoon said:
Brine, one more idea. Could you lower your winch stand enough to get the bow stop below the eye? It looks like you have some room to lower it about 2".
Yes I could, but I've read alot of opinions that say the eye should be positioned beneath the bow stop as a safety precaution such that in a car accident (either my car coming to an abrupt stop, or the boat being rear ended by another vehicle) the eye on the bow will make minimze the chance that the boat ends up on the roof of my car. Unfortunately, this is probably more of a reality where I live (Metro Atlanta) than for others.

If I was happy with the eye the way it is, I would probably do as you suggest (and take my chances with an accident), but I don't like that the eye looks to be very thin where all of the pressure is applied by the winch. Because I fish elecric only, I don't get to power load the boat and often times I am pulling the boat in excess of 2 feet to the bow stop with the winch. I don't ever want to have to worry about that eye opening up while I'm winching it in.

I left a message with the welding course instructor at the technical college across the street yesterday. I'm interested to see if it's something they would do.

That's a good point about the eye being below the stop. That would lock it in solid. Good luck with the welding. Yeah, Brine I know what you mean-I drive Atlanta everyday, and I will need to strap mine down really good, as my eye is above my stop. My trailer is almost done. I'm having to get VIN # and police inspections due to no VIN on the trailer as I bought it. That's a whole story in itself.

Nothing like taking your time to get a project done...LOL

Finally made a new bow eye. As I had mentioned, I had a piece of .25 Angle Aluminum that had come with the boat that apparently was set up on the transom for the big motor. I ended up just cutting a piece out from it:
AluminumAngle.jpg

to make this:
NewBowEye.jpg

If you'll notice, the new eye has alot more material at the front of it, as to not concern myself with pulling out the front, as well as the new size of the hole now accomodates my new wench hook.

I found a guy local that has done some really neat aluminum welding products, and he has offered to attach the new eye, and piece in the two 1.25" holes that are shown earlier in this thread for $100. I may have him do a third .75 hole that currently has aluminum epoxy in it just for the piece of mind. I had considering using Aluminum patches that would be riveted on to remedy the holes, but this seems like a better choice for me, as I'm fairly certain that after he is done, and the boat is painted, you won't be able to tell that there ever was ever a hole. I still need to put lights on the trailer and carpet on the bunks just to get the trailer street legal so I can take it to him. Santa has already said yes to those items, so look for updates soon.

Trailer is DONE!

Well...... except for registration.

I'll post some pics of the completed trailer next time I have the boat off. Since my last post, I"ve installed LED Tail lights, LED Clearance Lights, and reflectors at the bow stop, new bunks, finished all 3 wheels and got new tires for them yesterday. As I was finishing up carpeting my bunks, it started to rain, so I scrambled to get the boat on the trailer and tarped so I'll post more pics of the trailer without the boat soon.

Here is how the wheels turned out
P1190103.jpg

P1190104.jpg

Spare
P1190105.jpg

Rust Converter and Primer
P1190107.jpg

No taping because I was putting on new tires
P1190110.jpg

P1190111.jpg

and the wheels completed...
P1210075.jpg

P1210077.jpg

14 pages to get to finished trailer pics.... #-o

Before
104_1309.jpg

After
P2170129.jpg

Before
104_1324.jpg

After
P2170133.jpg

Before
104_1313.jpg

After
P2170124.jpg

And a little more about the rebuild...

New LED's
P2170135.jpg

Clearance Lights on Clearance :mrgreen:
P2170131.jpg

Herculiner still holding strong
P2170128.jpg

Here is how I attached my bunks. The green pieces are cutting board material cut, stacked, then duct-taped (just to hold them together so I could drill through them) then 2 stainless carraige bolts countersunk in the bunks, holes filled with caulk, then carpeted over.
P2170134.jpg

You'll also notice, I left the carpet short per suggestions to promote the water to drain easier from the bunks. After cutting it with a utility knife, I came back with a heat gun and burnt the edges in an effort to minimize any fraying. I also ended up getting 3 sleeves of stainless staples (about 225 staples I think) for my pneumatic staple gun for $5 =D> . I went to a local tool store, told him what I needed, and all they had were boxes for around $70. I said, can I just buy a few sleeves from the box, and he said..."Sure, how bout $5".

Ready to take it to the welder!
P2170123.jpg

Thanks guys...Looking forward to working on the boat now.

Welding.... DONE!

When I grow up I want to weld Aluminum. :roll:

This part of the build seemed to be one of the more difficult to complete thus far. Naturally, I'm working on a budget; however, the budget wasn't the primary obstacle. There just aren't many people near me who (A) are set up to weld aluminum (B) wanted the job. As it turns out, I found these guys on the internet two days ago, and they did the job yesterday. Total labor was right at 1.5 hrs. Their labor rate is $65/hr + material, and I got the job done for $95. Not to mention, they are 5 minutes from the house. Didn't hurt that the owner likes to fish out of his jon boat, and showed me pics on his camera of some trout he caught last week. Never new they were there, because they are in an industrial park that I'd never been in. They are also a full fabricator, so they have the potential for being used again at somepoint during the rebuild. For any of the GA TinBoaters, here they are: https://www.capitalcitymachine.com/welding.htm Take into consideration, I don't know how to judge their work other than my objectives which were to patch the two holes and attach the bow eye I made.

Here are the holes
LivewellHolesAfterDrilled.jpg

Here is the fix
P3100086.jpg

Patches on the inside of the boat which will be covered during mod.
P3100085.jpg

New bow eye attached
P3110096.jpg

Action Footage
P3100079.jpg

P3100082.jpg

P3100083.jpg

Next is purchasing the ACM Panel for the floor

Latest posts