Right or left handed? Dumb question.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not a dumb question. I started on spinning reels too, and have gotten used to holding the rod in my dominate hand. Never understood the switching hands after casting either. In short, all my reels crank on the left. Seems that this is becoming more popular all the time, as left-cranking reels are in most baitcast lineups now, far more than in the past.

i have a lefty pinacle solene for pitchin n flippin

lefty phuleger i workin with for practice throwin with rest all right's untill i get more comportable with leftys

Alright a lefty is gonna give you his take on it....

I am left handed, and whenever I fished with spinning reels, I always have switched the handle to the right. My dominant hand has always held the rod, and the right hand has reeled. Fortunately for me, the Zebco's came that way already. Now why on earth do "lefty" baitcasters come with the handle on the left when most fishermen I know use their dominant hand to hold the rod? I don't think its cause you need power when reeling when you're using a casting reel (unless you're on a deep sea trip in Florida with a demented captain and first mate that insist on you using your reel, not your ROD to lift up big grouper from the rocks - the result? Grown men who look like they're having seizures and convulsions trying to reel up a grouper, that most often, schooled them and went back in the rocks, however, I digress....) What was I talking about again? Oh, right, I think the reason is because of tradition. For some reason (maybe bc they followed the pattern of big trolling reels when they started making regular casting reels) they've always been making them this way, and guys have learned to use them this way. I buy "righty" casting reels, and they're perfect, I thumb the spool with the left hand, and then the lure hits the water, I'm ready to roll.

So for once in the right handed world, we lefty's have gotten a break, and finally the right handed people have gotten their recognition, too bad they just don't know it!!

Have a great day

Left-side crank all the way here. I tried right-hand crank baitcasters (in fact I have 3 sitting around useless now) but could never get the rod action correct for jigs and worms.

The biggest problem is the selection of left-hand crank models is crap. You can either get a real cheap piece of crap, or a super expensive reel, very few in the mid-price range with left-cranks.

If all these right-crank people would know what's best for them there'd be more demand and we'd have a bigger selection.

Popeye said:
piedmontNC said:
If all these right-crank people would know what's best for them there'd be more demand and we'd have a bigger selection.

Funny, I thought I knew what was best for me

I figure most go with the right crank as a matter of convention and limited selection. I stii can't see why a right-handed person would want to crank with their strong and agile/coordinated arm.

Mattman said:
It is a preference thing.

Personally...the handle has to be on the left. Just like my spinning reels.
I can't see why anyone would want to cast the rod with their right hand, then switch hands to reel with their right. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
Additionally...I want the rod in my dominant hand. Both for manipulating the bait and for powering fish.

+1

My Salmon reels are of the "conventional" style and when fighting a 15 lb+ king, determined to not come quietly, I'm glad my strong hand is on the crank.

As far as a bait caster (and after 40+ years of fishing, have only one) I can easily cast and transfer the rod smoothly and then have my strong hand ready to crank.

I generally use a spinning rod and have no issues with them either. I have never used a left hand crank baitcaster and who knows, I might like it... naw I doubt it. Don't really care for baitcasters enough to buy another.