rivets 14' Mon Ark rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtydg

Reaction score
Hello to all. I am in the beginning stages of a rebuild on a 14 foot early 70's Mon Ark flat bottom. After the water test it looks like I have about 12-15 rivets to replace. The rivets I was able to remove appear to be 3/16 in diameter and some where in the 5/16 to 1/2 inch length. Do these measurements sound normal? The other item I spotted on Hanson Rivets web site is self sealing blind rivets. Do any of you have any advice? I could sure use some coaching on this. I only want to do this once if possible.

thanking you all in advance!!!!

mty

I had no idea how to replace a few rivets on my rig. I found out that the #10 size bolt fit pretty darn good in the old rivet hole (3/16"), so I went that rout along with ample 5200.

thanks I thought about that as well but I am a true glutton for punishment. I've even been married more than once. I tell you this just to prove my point................

I used the closed end pop rivets on mine. They held with a leak test but I haven't been out on the water with them yet. Also I did not replace any rivets on the main seams.

Bilgediver said:
I used the closed end pop rivets on mine. They held with a leak test but I haven't been out on the water with them yet. Also I did not replace any rivets on the main seams.

Thanks for the info. I made the decision to replace with OEM, I'm ordering solid rivets from Hanson Rivet. I have a pneumatic hammer and ear plugs just need to order the right tool for the hammer.

mtydg said:
Hello to all. I am in the beginning stages of a rebuild on a 14 foot early 70's Mon Ark flat bottom. After the water test it looks like I have about 12-15 rivets to replace. The rivets I was able to remove appear to be 3/16 in diameter and some where in the 5/16 to 1/2 inch length. Do these measurements sound normal? The other item I spotted on Hanson Rivets web site is self sealing blind rivets. Do any of you have any advice? I could sure use some coaching on this. I only want to do this once if possible.

thanking you all in advance!!!!

mtydg, I'm going with both Solid Aluminum rivets and Stainless Steel bolts and 2 tubes of 3M 5200 for good measure. :D I believe it depends on comfort level and location of bad rivets. Some of mine are on the bottom of the boat, so ill use rivets there. Transom, Ill use bolts and 5200 with a dab of loctite (red). Hope that helps and check out many of the other posts. Lots of transom replacements going on.

Since you already have the tools, solid rivets are the best choice. I ordered 3/8 and 1/2 since I also wasn't sure which size I needed. The 3/8" were plenty long even when going through the hull and another piece of aluminum. Solid rivets, to my surprise, were actually really easy to work with. Easier than pop rivets IMO. But like panFried said where they are located and access has alot to do with it as well.

Are you planning on using steel flex?

Whatever rivets you use, the 5200 works great.

Post some pics.

Good luck with your build.

ROBB said:
Are you planning on using steel flex?

Whatever rivets you use, the 5200 works great.

Post some pics.

Good luck with your build.

I'm not sure about the bottom finish yet. I think steel flex sounds like win win but I'm considering sand, prime & paint. Part of the thought process is the budget. I have been using 5200 and I will continue as I replace rivets as well

Attachments

• P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    596 KB · Views: 1,950
Think about how you'll be using your boat when considering steelflex. I originally planned it for my build but decided on just paint after I realized steelflex doesn't do well with beaching or rock dings. I'll be using my boat 99% of the time in the shallower, rocky, upper portion of the Potomac river and will be beaching alot while duck hunting. Now, if your fishing mostly lakes or similar I hear stellflex does really well.

Your boat looks like how mine used to look... oxidation, and what I called "leak trails" from where water leaked and left a rusty brown trail.

I just got off the phone with a representative a JayCee and he recommended solid alum rivets for the ones I have to replace... however I do not have the tools to do that..

So I think I am going to go with some alum/alum closed end blind rivets, and either some 3M 5200 or LocTite marine epoxy...I have the 3/16" size, but am unsure about the length considering I have to go through the hull skin, and the width of the rib itself...

Good luck... I should have some pics of mine soon should I get the rivets in the next week.

tonynoriega said:
Your boat looks like how mine used to look... oxidation, and what I called "leak trails" from where water leaked and left a rusty brown trail.

I just got off the phone with a representative a JayCee and he recommended solid alum rivets for the ones I have to replace... however I do not have the tools to do that..

So I think I am going to go with some alum/alum closed end blind rivets, and either some 3M 5200 or LocTite marine epoxy...I have the 3/16" size, but am unsure about the length considering I have to go through the hull skin, and the width of the rib itself...

Good luck... I should have some pics of mine soon should I get the rivets in the next week.
I ordered 3/16 diameter and 3/8 length solid rivets from Hanson Rivet. I did some measuring before I ordered and feel confident that the 3/8 length is what I need. Luckily I have an air hammer and a bit for the 3/16th rivet was $ 13.00.

Good luck on the build