Rod help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny146

Reaction score
I went to BPS today and picked up one there new Crankin' Sticks. Felt pretty good, I know I'm gonna pick up a 6'6" M for my smaller, but I can't decide if I should get a 7' M or MH for my bigger stuff. Thoughts?

I would go even bigger. I throw my big crank baits on a 7'11" med rod. I can throw the baits a mile and the extra lenght keeps my arms from getting tired

Gunny,

Are they on sale right now? I paid $49 for mine last Spring I think. If they aren't on sale, I'd wait a month or so.

Brine said:
Gunny,

Are they on sale right now? I paid $49 for mine last Spring I think. If they aren't on sale, I'd wait a month or so.

Last year's models are on sale at my BPS. Thought about picking one up, but I don't use the one i have :roll:

I would get a longer rod than 7' like redbug said for my bigger cranks. More casting distance and more leverage on the fish, will help especially when playing fish around the boat and trying not to get them to shake off or wrap you up in something. Right now I have a BPS crankin stick and I really don't care for it. I am soon gunna replace it with a Kistler but if Kistler is outta your price range I would go with American Rodsmiths or St. Croix at least.

JDbassin said:
I would get a longer rod than 7' like redbug said for my bigger cranks. More casting distance and more leverage on the fish, will help especially when playing fish around the boat and trying not to get them to shake off or wrap you up in something. Right now I have a BPS crankin stick and I really don't care for it. I am soon gunna replace it with a Kistler but if Kistler is outta your price range I would go with American Rodsmiths or St. Croix at least.
I have an American rodsmith rod and love it. they are made in the USA . they also support union members that belong to the
UNION SPORTSMAN ALLIANCE. they give a 35% discount to members of the group.
I have heard that kistler is now having their rods made in china a friend got a replacement under warranty that had a made in china sticker on the rod.

Meant to tell everyone thanks for the help. I kinda split the middle when I picked up the rods. I went with a 7'6" BPS crankin stik and a Skeet Reese crankbait rod. I haven't fished them yet but they sure felt good and alot better than what I was using before. I ended up pairing them both up with a BPS Viper. The Viper is a $50.00 reel but so far it has been great. It's super smooth and casts a mile. I hope to give each rig a shakedown before my next tourney. Thanks again for the advice.

I think you'll be happy with the bps crankin stick.. I have a 7'mh and its pretty nice... but its now second in line, behind my 7'4M KVD Tour rod... its crazy how great it feels.. and looks. I'll have to remember to take some pics... :D

Those vipers are well worth the 50 bucks. Browning had the exact same reel in different colors last year, but I can't remember what they called them. I got a combo for 60 or 70 bucks, and I loved it, until it ended up in the bottom of the lake when a spinner bait hooked onto the rod and sent it flying :cry:

That sucks about the rig going in the drink. I looked at the KVD rods and most of the others suggested. I just liked the way the BPS rod and the Skeet Reese rod felt in my hands. I am one of the few that seem to like the hump in the BPS handles. I have wide hand and long fingers so the hump fits perfect for me anyway. I'm real pleased with my choice, now I just hope I can hang one in my tournament on the 21st, So far it ain't been good. First 2, zeroed both times, but I don't feel real bad. First one whole club zeroed and the second one only 5 fish came to the scales and no one brought more than one to the scale.

i like the hump in bps rods also. but im also one of those weird guys that doesnt believe in paying for high dollar rods and reels. bout $60-$70 for a reel and $50 for a rod is bout all i will let myself spend.

Latest posts