routing wires in PVC along gunnel or under the grizzly 1648 bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwest80

Reaction score
So I've read people routing wires under the bottom of a grizzly, and read people using a pvc pipe along the gunnel. obviously i would rather route them underneath from an aesthetic perspective, how bad is the risk really (usually when people ask that the answer is already obvious, but asking anyway)? if, worse case, the wires somehow rubbed through and shorted, it'd just blow the fuse, right?

otoh, with a pvc pipe under the gunnel, i've looked for close up pics and can't find any. how are they secured under the gunnel? since the gunnel is above the water line, do people just use bolts or something? anyone have pics or ideas of the best, cleanest way, to do this?

thx!

Is there room to run pex tubing under the floor then run your wire through the pex? Would provide additional security from chaffing and it's flexible and comes in multiple diameters. I've done the pvc under the gunnel on boats without a floor and mounted the pvc with a couple stainless steel suspension clamps that mount with a single screw. Is there no factory tube under the floor to run wiring? Where did factory run the wiring?

how bad is the risk really (usually when people ask that the answer is already obvious, but asking anyway)? if, worse case, the wires somehow rubbed through and shorted, it'd just blow the fuse, right?
Not enough info for risk assesment, but not just a fuse, but equipment failure when you need it. Stranded, arc near flamabale vapors, lights at dust, just depends on what is connected to the branch circuit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240422_065837_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240422_065837_Samsung Notes.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
I routed my wires along the Gunnel. A Grizzly has a T slot all along the gunnel for attachments, a 1/4 or 6mm carriage bolt fits this slot. I chose to use conduit under the overhang held in place by stainless straps held in place by the carriage bolts. The slot runs out at the bow so I drilled out the rivets on the access plates. This gave me access to the rest of the bow then replaced the rivets with sheet metal screws so I could easily regain access. This area stays dry and free from any abrasion or things dropping on the wire. If the attachment track is not used for connecting items then the wire can be run inside of that. A length of the foam beading used to lay laminate floors with a bit of silicone would seal it up and still be easy to remove if necessary. I have found that the conduit is not in any way 'in the way' and allows full usage for attachments.

PEX is not UV stable. It will discolor and break down over time. Grey PVC conduit or even thin wall aluminum tubing are probably better choices. Some of the black plastic wire loom could be UV stabilized but, you would need to check. If it’s not in the specs then it probably isn’t UV stabilized.

My two cents. Go under the gunnel and don't use PVC pipe. Bundle the wires together with zip ties at short intervals. Use a section of wire loom where the bundle crosses anything that might cause a chaffing problem.