rub rail alternative

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idruthrbfishin

Reaction score
I'm looking for a more reasonably priced alternative to vinyl rub rail. Considering MDF cut 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" then run through my shaper to look like the drawing below. Paint it whatever color you want.

rubrail.png

A friend riveted this to his gunnels, 1-1/8" PVC corner molding in white, said it was $8 for an 8' length. Two season in, it looks OK, gets scarred if hit, but ...

Now I had luck buying 25' rolls of odd stock rubber rubrail from eBay, and doubt I ever paid over $50 delivered.

PVC.jpg

MrGiggles said:
MDF swells and crumbles when it gets wet. A boat is probably the worst application for it.

Well, there goes that idea! Thanks for saving me the frustration!

idruthrbfishin said:
MrGiggles said:
MDF swells and crumbles when it gets wet. A boat is probably the worst application for it.

Well, there goes that idea! Thanks for saving me the frustration!

Sure thing. I think vinyl as suggested would be a fine alternative.

You could still make it out of wood, but it would need to be with timber, not any sort of OSB, plywood, fiberboard, etc. Big trollers and such use wood timbers for rub rails. It would also curve around the gunnels better.

DaleH said:
Tons of rub rail on eBay, $35 shipped and up, 25' lengths

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184983930394?hash=item2b11e6c61a:g:sR8AAOSwNThhDCJY

All I saw on FleaBay for $35 was rub rail inserts...... I need the whole 9 yards.

LDUBS said:
The big box hardware stores sell 3/4" PVC trim boards. You might be able to mill something up from that. I've never used it, so this is kind of a seat of the pants suggestion.

Yes! PVC is actually what I was referring to, I guess I just used the wrong terminology. I think 3/4 is a little thin though.

MrGiggles said:

I was using the wrong terminology, I actually was thinking about PVC. Hey....I'm a mechanic, not a carpenter! LoL! :LOL2:

idruthrbfishin said:
MrGiggles said:

I was using the wrong terminology, I actually was thinking about PVC. Hey....I'm a mechanic, not a carpenter! LoL! :LOL2:
How about 25' of old white firehose? Some just put it on with zipties, and some get it for free from friends who are fire fighters. Here's one, $37.50 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/165053573418?hash=item266df5a92a:g:KIkAAOSwY1FgD1V7

I once took scrap 2" white hose a boatyard threw out and slit it down the middle (of the natural curve) from one end to the other, that worked great too, although it was an absolute beyatch to cut!

idruthrbfishin said:
LDUBS said:
The big box hardware stores sell 3/4" PVC trim boards. You might be able to mill something up from that. I've never used it, so this is kind of a seat of the pants suggestion.

Yes! PVC is actually what I was referring to, I guess I just used the wrong terminology. I think 3/4 is a little thin though.

I was thinking to build the shape by layering a couple of pieces. Sounds like you have the equipment to do some "joinery". Again, I'm not that familiar with the PVC trim stuff but there must be a way using glue/fasteners.

About mixing up MDF vs PVC -- I'm glad I'm not the only one that has those slip-ups every so often! :LOL2:

Latest posts