Sbritt's 2013 1648NCS alumacraft build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbritt23

Reaction score
This is a 2013 alumacraft 1648 NCS. I will be powering it with a 94 evinrude 40. This will be used for commercial gigging and flats fishing. Won't be extending or adding to the decks as it already has a big enough deck. So I started with the hull.
uploadfromtaptalk1365079016290.jpg

I sat down and looked through a bunch of other builds to get ideas of what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it. And then started making material lists and also drawing up the build.

So the first thing I done was fig out how I was going to do my wiring. Without having to drill a bunch of holes in my boat so I came up with doing this
boat1-2.jpg

boat2-1.jpg

Basically I ran 1/4 pex pvc down the gunnel up and around the deck and will be installing a homemade rocker panel to the bench under my seat

Next thing I did was cut out the access hatches in the stern pods for storage one side is for electrical (battery, fuse box, wiring). And the other will be for miscellaneous storage life jackets oil and other stuff. uploadfromtaptalk1365079628234.jpg

So the boat is rated for a 35 and like I said before I will be putting a 40 on it. I decided to get a cmc pt 130 tilt and trim unit so with that installed I will have a 6 inch setback so with the added weight and stress in the transom I went to a local machine shop and had them fab me up a transom cap out of 1/8 (I believe) diamond plate.
uploadfromtaptalk1365079877446.jpguploadfromtaptalk1365079891325.jpg

Well at this point I'm at a stand still waiting on stuff to get in the mail so I went ahead and fabricated my light rail with 4 high pressure sodium lights it's not beautiful but it will work. uploadfromtaptalk1365080053024.jpguploadfromtaptalk1365080065617.jpg

Well yesterday I decided to to tackle the wiring and let me tell you pulling wire though 1/4 pipe is a pain. After this I'm taking a few days off of working on the build but when I start back up I should get it done in 2 days here is the pic of the cluster of wiringuploadfromtaptalk1365080233302.jpg

Now just waiting for my cmc to get here install it and the motor. Get my floor in and tie up the loose ends on the electrical and other stuff will update when I'm finished

Sweet! I had the same hull in mod v from 2011 that I liked a lot. It started to leak on me but I was extra ordinarily hard on it.

I got 25 with two people and fishing gear with a 25 etec on a mod v. That thing is definitely going to fly.

Well I guess this build has finally came to the end. Everything is done besides hooking up my my last few wires to the battery. Here are my final picturesuploadfromtaptalk1365459608820.jpg
I installed hatches on both sides of the pods this side is for battery and all things dealing with electrical still gotta sew up the loose ends when I'm done you won't be able to see any wires what so ever
uploadfromtaptalk1365459688878.jpg
In the opposite side it will be for miscellaneous storage oil, life jackets and whatever else
uploadfromtaptalk1365459749757.jpg
Here is a picture of the latches along with the homemade rocker box I made its not the prettiest but it was a cheaper route
uploadfromtaptalk1365459808520.jpg
The bow with the trolling motor bracket bow light and the pex pipe I used to run the wires. Will install my power drive v2 one I work on it a little bit and get it right

uploadfromtaptalk1365459909543.jpg
Here is a pic of my false bottom floor it's 1/4 inch wood sealed and used valrish skid not paint from Lowes and let me tell you'll this it's better then any kind of bed liner stuff. And alot cheaper a gallon was 12 bucks and it has alot of grip
uploadfromtaptalk1365460007971.jpg
Like I said before I'm a commercial flounder gigger so here is my 4-150 watt hps lights all wired ready to gouploadfromtaptalk1365460073905.jpguploadfromtaptalk1365460086808.jpg
And finally got my 40hp motor and cmc tilt and trim on.
Let me say this I got to splash it today and take it for a spin. Wide open throttle with me gas battery and floor she was chime walking at 43 mph by the GPS. I haven't even propped it out yet she was only turning 4600 and the motor is meant to turn 5200. And I also haven't played with the height of the motor yet the cavitation plate is even with the stern and the cmc rep told me to raise it between 3-5 inches off the bottom of the stern.

Future mods after this fishing season take factory deck out put in diamond plate deck with hatches also move gas tank and battery up front to get some of the weight out the stern.

For some odd reason the pictures didnt match up to what exactly i was wording them too sorry for the confusion but i guess youll would understand it one way or another....Any of you other pros out there want to chime in and give me some ideas especially you Country Dave

what's the CMC tilt and trim for? Do people need that when their motors don't have tilt and trim?...don't really get it.

Yeah its a aftermarket tilt and trim unit I found stock units for my motor for around 1000 bucks but I went this route for 600 it also acts like a jack plate so I can run in real skinny water 8 inches or so

sbritt23 said:
Yeah its a aftermarket tilt and trim unit I found stock units for my motor for around 1000 bucks but I went this route for 600 it also acts like a jack plate so I can run in real skinny water 8 inches or so

Oh, so it can give your motor electric tilt and trim. Nice. I have a 1648 with a Evinrude 35HP...for normal boating in rivers and lakes, should my cavitation plate be at same level with bottom on boat?

MNHunter505 said:
sbritt23 said:

Oh, so it can give your motor electric tilt and trim. Nice. I have a 1648 with a Evinrude 35HP...for normal boating in rivers and lakes, should my cavitation plate be at same level with bottom on boat?

It needs to either be within a inch below even or a inch high. Mine will be between 3-5 inches high due to my setback but I have yet to really mess with all that

Im thinking of flotation pods next and reinforcing the transom cause im feeling the need to go faster and drop a new 4 stroke yammy 60 on it me and a couple of buddies of mine are in a pissing contest right now with whos boat is the fastest so i wanna shut them up. Plus they dont wanna run my 14 dixie strip boat with a 90 on it

sbritt23 said:
Im thinking of flotation pods next and reinforcing the transom cause im feeling the need to go faster and drop a new 4 stroke yammy 60 on it me and a couple of buddies of mine are in a pissing contest right now with whos boat is the fastest so i wanna shut them up. Plus they dont wanna run my 14 dixie strip boat with a 90 on it

Couldn't you get it to run faster with a 2-stroke, drop off some of that 4-stroke weight too?

Latest posts