Sea Nypmh 17' Deep V.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benjineer said:
See the pics now. Nice hull. Looks like a huge splashwell like I saw on another deep V on this board.

That's one of the things I don't like about it. I would REALLY like to make it smaller. Most new deep V boats have a much smaller splash well.

Still not sure how to handle that one. Leave it, or re-engineer it.

Part of the decision will be based on having clearance for stuff under there. The newer boats with small splash wells have in hull fuel tanks. I'm mounting a permanent tank, but it's not going under the floor, but under the splash well.

jasper60103 said:
Love your project. That's going to be one big mean fishing machine! 8)

Thanks! Every time I work on it, I get more excited to get it finished.

I hope to have all the deck hardware off tonight before I go to bed. Cleats, lights, bow rails, anchormates, etc.

benjineer said:
See the pics now. Nice hull. Looks like a huge splashwell like I saw on another deep V on this board.

After looking over the splash well area I have decided to lower it about 4". I'm going to do this with a heavy aluminum beam like used as crossmembers on Pontoon decks.

Rivet or bolt the section of crossmember to the gunnell, and then the splash well to it. This way I can run a deck right over it, and close some of it in....Basically making it similar to the newer boats with their much smaller splash wells.

Finally got all the deck hardware removed...

I had to remove some trim and braces up front to get the old wood out from under the front bow cap....Now it's ultra flimsy so I'm going to fix that first.
I'm going to reinforce the entire underside for more support for the trolling motor....

The foam in the front is still being a pain. It is taking FOREVER to thaw because the garage isn't heated. Attached to the house but not heated.

I should be ready for gluvit by next weekend. At which point I'm going to have to borrow a propane heater that my mom has, and get the garage heated up for a couple days.

I sat the trolling motor up on the bow cap last night.... :evil: :(

I think it's going to be too short. It's a 48" shaft.

I really hope that there is a way to extend the shaft. Maybe Minnkota will sell a longer shaft, and I can just extend the wires or something and install the longer shaft.

It's brand new, and it was given to me. But it's also a couple years old, and no original packaging. AND came from Minn Kota directly. So it's not like I can take it back or anything.

I'm going to give them a call here in a bit, and I'll update this post with any info I get from them. I figure it might be useful information for others here too.

So I just called Minn Kota.....LUCKILY you can buy a longer shaft and install it.

It is threaded into the motor, and needs to be unscrewed, cleaned up, and then the new one installed. He mentioned that most service centers have done this quite a few times.

The cost for a 60" shaft for a Power Drive V2 motor was 30 bucks plus shipping and handling.

That makes me feel MUCH better.

Major decision time. I need to make it in the next week or two.

Tiller or single console.
Based on the fact it's 17' long, and only 78" wide, I'm leaning towards tiller. Cost really isn't an issue because the money I spend to convert to tiller will be about the same amount of $$ spent buying a new steering system.

Any thoughts?

I guess it depends on exactally what your going to be using the boat for the most... I have tiller and console boats, and for whatever reason, i just like the console better. I dunno, i think it's the feel or something. But you might have a little more room if you run a tiller for fishing and that sort of thing... however, i think it adds a little more feel of custom to a boat when you put a console in.

Default Stripping old carpet glue, and Scrubbing is in my future.

Finally got everything out of the hull. There is a bunch of carpet glue residue. It looks like in some places they used some liquid nails type glue.

Also there is a orange coating. I hate to call this paint because it really doesn't seem like it is. Maybe it's some sort of protective "stuff" the factory sprayed.

Anyhow I'm all ears on ideas for removing the stuff on the sidewalls and prepped it for paint....Actually I'd like to just carpet the sides, but I definitely want a good clean flake free surface to glue the carpet too.

Other than that I'm ready to scrub things up and wait for some Gluvit to get here.

Tomorrow is going to be a cleaning up my mess in the garage, and outside day.

Here is how she sits now.

Picture098.jpg

This is also something that i have ran into on a project or two. My thoughts were either some sort of stripping agent? (havn't tried it so far) or in a situation such as yours where your going to carpet it anyways, use lightweight 1/4 ply with carpet and screw that to the ribs... that way in the future if the carpet wears out you can just take everything off and don't have to deal with removing the glue again... just a thought.

PartsMan said:
LonLB said:
Based on the fact it's 17' long, and only 78" wide, I'm leaning towards tiller.

:lol: :lol:

Based on today's standards that's pretty small. The splash well takes up much more of the boat than on newer models, and most 17' boats sold today are 85-95" wide.

Attachments

• Targa-V-18-Combo_img5573_700.jpg
    Targa-V-18-Combo_img5573_700.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,553
Wholesale Marine has the quart size Gluvit for $38. Shipping for UPS ground was $7.23.

$46.23 including shipping is a better price than I've found elsewhere without shipping.

I'm going to get the bow reinforced and the hull scrubbed up this weekend. Should have Gluvit on the following weekend.

This would be going faster, but my Brother works with a lumber distributor, so I'm waiting on a sweet deal on plywood to fall into my lap.

While I'm waiting for that I can make my floor/deck patterns and get some flotation in the boat.

I decided to take the boat down to bare metal and start over. I'm glad because there is about 4 layers of paint on it.

I should have the sides and gunnels stripped by this time next weekend.....I got quite a bit stripped today. Just using paint stripper from Home Depot, and a stainless hand held brush.

Talked to my brother today. He's going to get the plywood, and sheets of foam for me for my Birthday. He works for a Materials distributor, so he can get it from work.

As long as I'm able to get the motor up and running without tons of cash outlay, I should have this thing ready to go by Memorial Day.

I got the Gluvit today. I should be applying it this weekend hopefully.

I've been spending time lately writing cover letters, printing resume's and making some rounds to boat builders in the area.
Hopefully by next week I have a new job at either Smoker Craft, or South Bay Pontoons. Booth reputable companies that aren't afraid to pay good employees.

Made a couple other stops too, including Rinker and Polar Kraft, and I've just about excluded them already unless I run out of options. Not known for paying well, and just didn't get a good vibe from the people I met with, and talked too.

As soon as I find the time I'll be scrub, scrub, scrubbing away.

Good luck on the job hunt. That is great you have so many boat companies in your area. Also let me know if the 2lbs of gluvit was enough or if you think you could have used more..

LonLB said:
Based on today's standards that's pretty small. The splash well takes up much more of the boat than on newer models, and most 17' boats sold today are 85-95" wide.

True. It just sounded funny compared to the daily "42" is plenty wide" discussions.