Setting idle 1977 75HP Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Hi

Would anyone know how to set the idle speed on a 75hp 1977 Evinrude?

I believe it is a screw on the attached picture.

Thanks a lot.

c5b67c78f6df3fb75d9b0273d1b539c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were only that simple!
This engine is designed to idle with the throttle blades completely closed. By turning that screw you are advancing the timing and opening all three throttle blades as well. Lots of things have to be loosened, shortened or lengthened, and lined back up to do it properly. Properly is the key word.......
There is a procedure called "Sync and Link" that has to be done. You would best be served to purchase a shop manual for the engine, find the procedure and follow it.
It would take a book to write the process for you here.

Thanks I will get a manual

I have seen people fiddling with the bottom screw.

What are they setting?

Thanks

Alex
c54edb772b7e3a7d912ebcd3c104822e.jpg

The bottom screw changes both the timing and throttle pick up. Technically that adjustment screw is there to set initial timing (not wide open timing) .....which is part of the whole process.
As I said earlier the engine is designed to idle with the throttle blades completely closed. You will change the pick up point which will need to be reset as well as the throttle cable adjustment will have to be reset as well. This is why I recommend you get a manual.

Hi

Found a mechanic who works on these old motors. A good chunk of his property is covered with old motors.

Dropped it off and it was all done in two days. Dozed a few others things I didn’t know about and indicated a few things that still needed to be done which he thought I could do saving me the $.

Happened to get a chance to run it at the dock today and it was running well. Deep throaty sound, best it has ever sounded.

Going to take it for a spin tomorrow.

Alex