Shallow V hull low freeboard search

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mgcolli

Reaction score
New to the site here. Was told this was the place to come for any question on metal boats. I’m looking to get into a metal boat for all the oysters I fish around in NC. But I’d still need it to have some good capabilities besides just being durable. Do any of y’all know of a v nose hull that has lower freeboard than most and runs as shallow as possible. The high freeboard of most v bottoms catch wind too bad. Flat front jons have too much hull slap. No chines would be a plus. Let me know if you have any suggestions, new or old. Looking to turn it into a flats boat. Thanks

I don't know what length you want, but my experience with 'no chine small tins' is, that they are 'rounded' at the garboard area (running bottom to topside transition) and they are TIPPY canoes at best! Flat in deadrise ... as in no deadrise, so good for the shallows, but far too tippy for me!

Most V-hulls do have the hard chine at the garboard to help get it up on plane, add dynamic stability and to deflect spray. Maybe try out a V-front Jon boat?

The v front Jon boats I think you’re talking about have way too much hull slap for the poling I’m going to be doing. I’m ok with a little tippy. Looking for 16 ft preferably. Maybe the no chines is unrealistic because I can’t really find them anywhere. I’d like to get on one before I decide to build it out like I want. A zero degree deadrise would be ideal for my use. Or as little as possible. Still definitely need low freeboard though. Wind is a killer.

35 years ago I traded for an older (at the time) 16 ft Ouachita tin boat. Freeboard was as low as I've seen - made me nervous in choppy water - bottom was flat and chines were rounded. Pointed nose, V entry. It even had a small livewell built into the center seat. I came to dislike it very quickly - in a steep turn with the rounded chines, the water would climb the side almost to the gunnel. I got rid of it.

This might give you a direction to look in.....??

Everything I've ever read said that no chines causes a boat to slide in a turn. I have a 16 foot flat bottom. It does slap when it gets choppy but I'd trade that inconvenience for it's ability to go shallow. I do a lot of bow fishing too and that's one of the reasons I got it, because it can go so shallow. The only boats that I'm aware of that don't have chines were custom built.

fwiw . . . bought a brand new Meyer Aluminum 16' SuperPro V-model and sold it after one time in the water . . . too tippy for me with a 6 degree transom deadrise . . . instead repowered 1987 Lowe Superior V with a zero-degree 16" transom deadrise . . . no mud-motor but run in 18" river water frequently . . . it has 5 strakes so maneuverability and tracking are not a problem . . . friend has an 80's Starcraft 18' Aluminum Cruiser with a new 60HP Mercury Bigfoot 4-stroke and we have the same freeboard . . . in summation, if you can find a zero-degree transom deadrise aluminum V-hull with cast aluminum bow and transom corner plates and cast transom knee-brace . . . buy it.