Should I buy....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

island fever

Reaction score
I found a MotorGuide 34# Trolling motor on Craig's List for $75 and the guy said he used it 3 or 4 times on an inflatable. I can not find one to match the picture so I asume it may be an older one. I was going to get the Minn Kota for around $100 and this has more thrust. It will be the main power source on my 12' V until I can afford an outboard.

I am supposed to call him back in the morning if I want it. What do you all think.
motorguide34.jpg

I've got one on long term loan from a buddy. While I hate Motorguides anyway, it isn't as big an issue on the smaller trolling motors than it is on the larger ones. The smaller ones are a lot simpler, so no real features to favor one way or the other.

That being said, I personally like the composite shafts of the Endura's I've had (I've ended up with many Endura 30s, and for whatever reason, I've sold every one of them), a lot better. Also, this Motorguide is freakin' noisy.

bassboy1 said:
That being said, I personally like the composite shafts of the Endura's I've had (I've ended up with many Endura 30s, and for whatever reason, I've sold every one of them), a lot better. Also, this Motorguide is freakin' noisy.

Thanks Bassboy! Thats just what I wanted to know. One of the reasons I was looking at the endura is because of the composite shaft and the reviews say its quiet and doesn't suck the battery. Now I just need to find one of those on craigs list 8)

I'll only be in fresh water but are the Riptide motors better than the Enduras? Searching for Minn Kotas I found a 40# riptide about the same price.

Also found a Die Hard 3HP? How many pounds of thrust would that be equal to?

Thanks for any help, I don't want to make an impulse buy and get something I don't like.

island fever said:
I'll only be in fresh water but are the Riptide motors better than the Enduras? Searching for Minn Kotas I found a 40# riptide about the same price.

Also found a Die Hard 3HP? How many pounds of thrust would that be equal to?

Thanks for any help, I don't want to make an impulse buy and get something I don't like.

The Riptide is going to be a little better - usually slightly more corrosion resistant. I've had numerous Minn Kotas that have had steel hardware in places on the mount (can't say for the newest, but mine of a few years ago did have some steel hardware) - the riptide should have all stainless. I believe they also have sacrificial zincs, which aren't really needed in freshwater, but don't hurt.

I'd pass on the Die Hard at any price. They will suck a battery down in no time.

that 3hp motor... is equivalent to about 27-30lbs thrust... and stay away - far away

I've got a the Motorguide T34 on my 1232 at my parents... I think I paid $99 brand new for it at Walmart. A good motor too - but like bassboy, I'm biased to the composite shafts of motorguide

Well I found a Minn Kota Endura 40# for $60 on CL and bought it this morning. It looks brand new and the guy said he used it 4 times on a jon boat. I will be in a lot of shallow rivers/creeks down here so I figured better get that composite shaft. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts