Side by Side seats/need opinion on decking layout on a 12'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildmantorry

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am working on my 1969 MirroCraft 12' V-Hull and am agonizing over the design of the deck and seats. I keep going back and forth with 1 rear, 1 front seat vs. two side by sides in the stern. Let me get some of ya'lls opinions. Here is what I was thinking.

1. 1 stern, 1 bow seat is the traditional layout. I don't really feel any need to go with tradition, as I prefer to stand while fishing. If I wanted to sit, I'd do it in the shade of the bimini. One plus I can think of is the balance not only side to side but bow to stern.

2. The side by side seating in the stern deck would be just fine for I and my wife, as mostly the boat would be a pleasure/fishing boat, and we are both some skinny-butted less than average height peoples. I was thinking just about getting two 'stadium seats' the kind that are meant to be clipped on bleachers. Then the seats would be used mostly in transit and the deck would be for the relaxin'.

3. Maybe I'll just build a stern deck with 1 seat and make it more or less a bowrider. 12' is not a lot to work with, but it's what I got!

I'd welcome anyone's two cents worth, or wooden nickels for that matter.
Thanks,
wildman

It looks good on paper, but until you mock it up in the actual boat, you'll never really know for sure. You might want to try driving around a lake with a buddy sitting next to you to see how the boat comes onto plane with two people sitting in the rear. It might be hard to steer a tiller with someone else sitting next to you. You might need to place the battery, gas, and trolling motor up front to offset your weight. But then you might have too much up front while you're fishing. Then again, you might not need/want to get up on plane in a 12 foot boat. Everyone has their own preferences.

That being said, I like the idea (the way it looks and how it might free up floor space). Mock it up, give it a run, and let us know how it goes.

I just remembered that I stumbled across this pic a while ago... can't remember where I grabbed it from. It might be something to consider... side-by-side seating plus a rear casting deck when they are folded closed.

Boat Seats.jpg

Latest posts