Skeg repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkbr

Reaction score
I have a lower unit that I am in the process of rebuilding. Part of my repair is going to be to the skeg (hopefully this weekend.) I am thinking about taking some before and after pictures and listing a skeg repair service on Ebay. I know around here it is pretty common to see boat motors with chunks missing out of their skegs. My question is this, what would you guys say would be a fair price to charge? I'm thinking about listing it as the customer covers shipping to and from, then just a flat fee. I know I can make the skeg appear as if it was never manipulated, just wondering if this is something people would hit on or pass it up.

Here is my starting point for this one

0910092037a.jpg

Any thoughts?

Brad

I would think that it would have to be cheaper than the bolt on skeg protectors to get many to bite. That seems to be the most common and easiest repair that I see in my area.

Quackrstackr said:
I would think that it would have to be cheaper than the bolt on skeg protectors to get many to bite. That seems to be the most common and easiest repair that I see in my area.

Very true

Well, minus paint, I finished the skeg repait today. It took just under an hour from start to finish, but the gearcase was already gutted. Here are the results...

0912091336a.jpg

I have charged up to $60.00.,just to weld a piece that was broke off (shallow pond, oyster reef).

I don t know how you fixed, but it looks like a good job.

Out of curiosity, are you using the same Lincoln MIG with spool gun as you use for some of your boats, or are you using a different machine?

Nice work! 8) . I'm guessing you might charge by time and materials. Some may prefer the nice welded repair vice the bolt-on repair skegs, but I'm just guessing. If the price were right, and shipping costs, I'd personally go for the welded repair if it were me.

bassboy1 said:
Out of curiosity, are you using the same Lincoln MIG with spool gun as you use for some of your boats, or are you using a different machine?

Yeah, I am still on the same setup. I have a tig as well but I am out of tungsten right now so opted to use the mig.

Waterwings said:
Nice work! 8) . I'm guessing you might charge by time and materials. Some may prefer the nice welded repair vice the bolt-on repair skegs, but I'm just guessing. If the price were right, and shipping costs, I'd personally go for the welded repair if it were me.

Thanks. As far as the material, it's all my drops from other jobs anyway. Time was a little supprising. The lower unit in the picture above took me right at 45 minutes start to finish.

Latest posts