Skunk-be-gone

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickk

Reaction score
I've made several post work 15 minute stops to no avail, the weather hasn't been the most cooperative either. Since I'm not fishing tournaments this year I figured I'm due for some travelling fishing time so I ventured above the cheddar curtain for trout in the Driftless region of Wisconsin. I headed up at 3:00AM Sunday morning with a friend, fished sun up to sundown and drove back home. It's a 3.5-4 hour drive one way.
fishing buddies:
IMGP0008.jpg

my actual fishing buddy gets on the water a lot and knows the area well. We hit a stretch of stream that hasn't been stocked in 17 years, we were going to catch some wild browns. Wisconsin trout aren't particularly big and my average fish was pretty small, we were fly fishing in early season so barbless hooks were required and it's catch and release only. The wild browns are unusually colored with white tipped fins like a brookie and with bright red adipose fins.
IMGP0007.jpg

I started out with a gold ribbed hare's ear nymph that I had tied the day before and started on fish right away.

The water in Wisconsin is pretty small
IMGP0005.jpg

The fish spook easily and you have to spend alot of time fishing on your knees.

trout are beautiful:
IMGP0003.jpg

IMGP0001.jpg

I took Monday off to hit rivers near home(within an hours drive) to fish with a old friend. While I was in Wisconsin it was raining all day on Sunday, the rivers were high and dark but we went anyway. I tossed a bunch of stuff and the only fish I got all day was a carp on a crankbait, it hit it! Hooked in the mouth! Sorry no pic.

On to the following Saturday, with intermittent rain I left home to hit the skateboard park and got a couple hours in before the rain hit. For those that think skateboarding is dangerous, you can see how rain makes it impossible:
a sad sight
IMGP0010.jpg

But I had a plan B. The skatepark I went to is near Chicago's lakefront and it's spring, bass are moving into the harbors. I had an hour or so available so I headed on over. With a limited number of baits and 2 rods I hit the catwalk over the harbor. It runs adjacent to the jogging path so you're never at a loss for spectators or nice scenery. My success came with a shakeyhead and I got my first bass of the season, I tossed it back and thought that even though it was short I should have snapped a pic since it was my first bass of the season. Luckily I got another that was bit bigger and got a pic:
IMGP0011.jpg

ON THE BOARD FOR '09!!