Slow leaks . . .ugh!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I simply just filled up the boat with a few inches of water, and circled rivets that leaked with a sharpie. I made sure to wait 20 minutes and see if there were any slow leaks, and there were. So don't give up after 5 minutes. I wound up using steel flex anyway, so it was a moot point.

Got some 5200 today, applied it to all the rivets and seams. Covered the boat and I'm gonna let it sit for at least two days, if not the whole week the product claims it takes for a full cure. Hope this does it. If not, I'll be going the bilge pump route. Was going to try to fix this boat up a bit, but with these problems not too sure it's worth it. At any rate, I might take a few pix to post for some advice.
Thx again to everyone for their input.

Has anybody tried that do it yourself truck bed liner on the bottom of there boat?
Got some slow leaks getting annoying. a quart is only 15 bucks or so thinking bout trying it.

Broncoxlt said:
Has anybody tried that do it yourself truck bed liner on the bottom of there boat?
Got some slow leaks getting annoying. a quart is only 15 bucks or so thinking bout trying it.

Some have tried it with very poor results.Most say it peels and causes a lot of drag.I have never used it and I would try Gluvit or Steelflex.

ben2go said:
Broncoxlt said:

Some have tried it with very poor results.Most say it peels and causes a lot of drag.I have never used it and I would try Gluvit or Steelflex.

I have to look in to those thanks

Broncoxlt said:
ben2go said:
Broncoxlt said:

I have to look in to those thanks

Best decision youll make is steel flex, stuff is amazing.

Go with the steel flex. price is going to be a bit more, but it sure helps the boat slide on and off the trailer. over sticks and rocks. Its great stuff!!! I have three weekends unde my boat with steel flex and wish I had done it years ago. A bit faster thru the water too.

The bedline stuff is for bedliners and the rather ruff texture will slow you down.

The steel flex is made for boats, used on airboats in the swamps and one firm puts it on duck boats here in Arkansas and they said its great too. Matter of fact they push their boats thru mud.

Stell flex boat. this is what sold me. Most of these boats have Steel Flex on the bottoms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VWZvj6-q4o&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_xtUvBVB9M&NR=1

https://www.gatortraxboats.com/mud%20motor%20use.htm

Man are these things annoying!!!! So I applied the 5200 last week and took the boat out twice. STILL have a leak!! I admit that I'm not looking for it thoroughly enough, but it still amazes me that it's taking this much effort to get rid of the thing. It's not as bad as it was--now only a cup or two of water, where it was maybe a quart before--but it is still annoying. Again, this is a pretty old tin can--1968, I think. But I would definitely like to get it all patched up, paint it, and sell it next year. At any rate, I must say I am grateful for the chance to get on the water safely this year.

Latest posts