Smackdaddy's "Pole Dancer" 1652 Polar Kraft flush deck jet b

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got four coats of Gator Glide on the bottom and got to the last of the container and found all the "slick stuff" had settled out and was too thick to use. I have another half gallon on the way.
Note to self:
Self, make sure to mix the jug with a high shear paint mixer this time...haha. Live and learn, but more importantly, read the directions well before proceeding!

I hit the GatorGlide with a 220 grit 3M sanding sponge yesterday after work to get one step ahead for tomorrow's last application of the top coats of G4. All I have to do now is get through this last day of work! I ordered another half gallon kit from Gatorheads and decided to go with the lighter grey since this graphite color is super dark. I am going to drag the boat over to my old blacksmith buddies shop, wipe her bottom down with acetone and get to rolling about five more coats.
I am going to pick up some Sherwin Williams Seaguard 1000 Enamel in light grey and a quart of aluminum primer as well and get he sides and all sprayed as well hopefully. I may leave it at his shop overnight and finish Friday morning. If it all cures like I want I hope to flip her over and get some more rigging done and possible shoot a coat of enamel on the inside as well just for grins.

Skipped the Seaguard1000 and went all out with PPG Epoxy Etching Primer and Urethane top coat. It is supposedly top grade stuff. About to start now.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349079#p349079 said:
smackdaddy53 » 58 minutes ago[/url]"]Skipped the Seaguard1000 and went all out with PPG Epoxy Etching Primer and Urethane top coat. It is supposedly top grade stuff. About to start now.

That will work.

Looks great. You probably mentioned this in one of your previous posts but what attachment did you use of your angle grinder to prep the hull?

Thanks guys.
I used a 90 degree grinder with a 3 1/2" knotted wire cup brush. Burned up three grinders and wore out two cup brushes but it was worth it.

**** I tried the knotted wire cup brush and it really tore in to the aluminum so I took it back for cup brush because I didn't want to rough up the aluminum that much. Wonder why yours didn't get as roughed up.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349163#p349163 said:
smackdaddy53 » 17 Apr 2014, 22:35[/url]"]Thanks guys.
I used a 90 degree grinder with a 3 1/2" knotted wire cup brush. Burned up three grinders and wore out two cup brushes but it was worth it.

bigredxlt said:
**** I tried the knotted wire cup brush and it really tore in to the aluminum so I took it back for cup brush because I didn't want to rough up the aluminum that much. Wonder why yours didn't get as roughed up.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349163#p349163 said:
smackdaddy53 » 17 Apr 2014, 22:35[/url]"]Thanks guys.
Probably because when I got to aluminum I moved on! Haha. Maybe my aluminum is a little harder grade but the paint was definitely stuck well. You can't sit too long on one spot either, the heat will warp the aluminum.
About to hit the shop and start masking my boat off for primer and paint. She will finally get a facelift today! After this I will flip her and start primer and blowing Tuffcoat on the pods.

Two coats of PPG Epoxy Primer done and curing. I hope the top coats go on as smoothly as the primer did.
jymetu3e.jpg

uza6a5ev.jpg

Done, masking all stripped and waiting for the cure. I went a little lighter than I intended on color but I think it turned out pretty sweet. The Tuffcoat on the pods and deck will be light grey and should contrast nicely.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397859732.405651.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397859747.488761.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397859795.788684.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397859991.789040.jpg

I flipped my boat for the last time hopefully and got out the oh **** handles to see what they look like on the sides. A little something to hold on to when running skinny and turning never hurt anyone.
Tomorrow I am going to take her to the lake for a little float test if all goes well with my Mother. My girlfriend and I took her to have back surgery today to remove some bone spurs in her spinal passage that were pinching her nerves. She is doing great this evening.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398128819.209242.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398128829.774463.jpg

Latest posts