Soft Stick Baits whos who & whats what

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkbirocz

Reaction score
I personally feel there is no substitute for the original yamamoto senko. Kinami Flash #2, its just a cheaper senko. I would say wave worm tiki sticks are #3, and yum dingers are #4, strike king zeros are #5. I have tried berkley's, but I don't like them at all. Those are the big company brands I have used. I have not tried reaction innovations stick baits, I thought they didnt really make a senko type bait, other than the dominator and the ball breaker, which arent really stick baits. Did they come out with a new bait?

GY, and tiki sticks, but i use a lot of finesse worms, that arent quite stick baits. Oh and Ive tried Kinami which if im not mistaken is made by GY

I like Alluring Bait's Trick sticks just because I can get 50 for $8. I really haven't noticed much difference in effectiveness with the different brands of sticks. I will sometimes buy the originals when they're on sale though.

I have only used the Yum Dingers and the Senkos. I have done well with both. I like the name of the Dingers better though :lol: .

You guys forgot about Esquired's senko/finesse worms! I've done well on those as well.

I use a lot of Zoom Trick Worms either T-rigged weedless, or with a stand-up shakey head.

I have some fake senko/stick baits but I don't use them very much.

I have never used the real senkos....
eyerub.gif

Fishin NJ said:
I would like to keep this to non hand poured, ie big store names please

I didn't forget about him. He does have some killer baits however i want to keep this as non hand poured. Thanks. Guys if you can give reasons for your choices to that would be a help for me.

He is a small company...BUT his baits are injected and not hand pours.

I am with Jim, I like both the tiki stick for fishing shallower water or whenever a slower drop is helpful, and the original senko for deeper water or when a slightly faster sink is helpful.

Tiki Sticks here. Smoke Shad and Red Shad work best around here.
I T-rig them or use them weightless. Although I'm out of them I also like Joe's Shakit worms in Black w/Blue Flake, and t-rig them also. After that would be Culprit 10" ribbon tails.

I've never been big on stick baits, but Jim's worked best for me. His just have more action in the water and on the fall when wacky rigged. When they are falling, the ends of the worms just flutter around. Netbait's worm has a lot of scent but is stiff in comparison, so it lacks action. I caught a few on a Strike King 3X worm Texas and Wacky Rigged, but they didn't seem like the best baits. I haven't had a chance to throw Esquired's baits much so I can't say either way for them.

I like mine :D They are cheap and in crazy colors.

Yum Dingers are good - caught a lot with them. Also, there is a company Called Sunami Baits that makes some really nice stuff - great solid colors - no glitter and flake, which I like.

Filthy Fishermen Bait Company (I am field tester :D ) makes a fine product.

Of course, the best I get are from PC Baits - the P Stick is awesome!

ill have to say filthy fishermen baits are my favorite.
btw ill qualify this by saying im a field staffer/sponsored angler.
ive been using them for a couple of years now, and they work great. they'll pour them anyway you like them too. i get them poured extra soft myself. theyre all around nice guys too.

other baits i think are above average are bearpaws baits, and hometown baits. both high quality baits, with ultra soft plastic.

ive never tried esquireds baits, but i think with his dedication to fishing, and the amount of time he has in testing them, they are probably excellent.

for major brands, ill only use yamamotos and kinamis.
the rest dont measure up in my humble opinion, and ive tried most of them.

Fishin' NJ. No worries. I should have read better to begin with. As far as rigging goes, I either rig them wacky on a size 1 gammy drop shot/finesse hook or T-rigged on a slider spider head, 1/16 or 1/8 oz.

I tend to use the gysenko in certian colors that other companies dont make. The wacky worm has been able to make a custom color that others don't make and I use them alot I tend to wacky rig them 70% of the time then comes texas rigged and I have been using the TIDAL DROP SHOT RIG over the last few seasons with great success.

Wayne

Alright. Honestly, nothing, NOTHING can beat an original GY senko. Yes they are expensive and delicate, but it is the best stickbait out on the market. It is super soft which creates incredible, unmatched action. Although it doesn't come with scent, that's alright, I don't think it matters that much (I believe action will outweigh the scent). Plus you can put some on. Also, GYCB has the best colors and widest selection. GYCB also comes in sizes 3"-7", something fairly unique. This is my order of senko use (not counting Esquired's and Jim's senkos):

1) GYCB senko (Green Pumpkin, Blue pearl/hologram)
2) Yum Dinger (Bumblebee Swirl)
3) Tiki Stick Wave Worm (Sweet Potato Pie)

I primarily use the 4" size, but it is all preference. Remember, the Kinami Flash Worm is identical to the GYCB but less count per bag. Here are some pro's and con's of the GYCB over the Yum Dinger/Tiki Stick.

Pro's:
-Better Action (I mean much, much better)
-More sizes available
-More colors
-Best sinkrate for me! (Faster)

Con's:
-More expensive, but if you can afford it, go for it!
-Not scented (who cares? Do it yourself)
-Doesn't come with as much laminate/swirl colors
-Plastic is very soft

In terms of sink rate, I like the GYCB because it is faster than the other ones. In second comes the Dinger, then the Wave Worm (which is PAINFULLY slow). This is with a constant, 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook. I usually fish the Wave Worm with an additional nail inserted in the head.

then the Wave Worm (which is PAINFULLY slow). This is with a constant, 3/0 Gamakatsu EWG hook.

In the shallow water I fish in (1' -'3') from the shore, I like that slow fall as it gives the Spots time to see it. I use either a 3/0 or 4/0 Gammy EWG hook also. Can't wait to get out and try the Hookerz hooks! :)

I just remebered I have some lucky strike "jerk baits" (there stick baits to me)worms, i gotta get them out this year and give them a try.