Spider Rigging - Show your setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bigwave said:
Well lets just say I live vicariously through you freshwater guys......some of the things yall come up with really blows my mind. The next time I go marlin fishing I will show you our version of a spider rig......only difference is our line is 80lb test and our leaders are 540lb........here are a few pics of our setup.

Bigwave I'll be down in tampa in two weeks how much to go out for the day hahaha awesome setup!

Spider rigging is a blast..it can produce a limit real quick!! I live 7 miles from Grenada Lake, one of the top crappie lakes in the world. It can be a lot like work when all the poles go down at one time.

Attachments

• Oct_7_2010.jpg
    Oct_7_2010.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 965
  • IMG_4372_Fruits-of-Labor.jpg
    IMG_4372_Fruits-of-Labor.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 965
  • B_n_M_Catch_04_05_2010.jpg
    B_n_M_Catch_04_05_2010.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 965
DWD said:
Spider rigging is a blast..it can produce a limit real quick!! I live 7 miles from Grenada Lake, one of the top crappie lakes in the world. It can be a lot like work when all the poles go down at one time.

As in Grenada MS? Nice looking slabs in those pics.

For you guys that are already using spider rigs, do you mainly use your trolling motor or are you using drift anchors and letting the wind push you? Or maybe the weather/situation dictates what method you use.

JMichael said:
DWD said:

For you guys that are already using spider rigs, do you mainly use your trolling motor or are you using drift anchors and letting the wind push you? Or maybe the weather/situation dictates what method you use.

yep, that would be MS. Never been but thinking/planning a trip there later this year.

For SR, use your TM, as you need to have a fairly slow (.3-.6mph) presentation most of the time , with 12-16' rods out front so the crappie see the lure/bait before the boat gets there. You need a gps unit to monitor your speed, and just the slightest speed up or down (like +/- .1mph) can make a difference in getting them to bite. got to find the right depth, right speed and then might have to add in which color do they want today as well. Most crappie fishing guys use the MK Terrova trolling motor with Ipilot, have high $$ HB or Low HDS units with SS/DS as speed control is very important in most styles with the exception of jigging or hovering over a brush pile. The Terrova w/IP has "spot lock" which is something like an electronic anchor based on gps location. The IP advertises the spot lock feature will keep the boat within a 15' radius, but that is somewhat inaccurate unless there is NO wind or current. The speed control feature allows mph adjustments in 0.1mph increments. Yes, I have a Terrova with IP, and it really is a great tool, you don't have to worry about the boat much while fishing your preferred method. the TM will control the boat for you, allowing you to do other things needed.

There are numerous ways to catch crappie, just like bass, there is SR, single poling (jigging), double poling, longlining/trolling, drifting, pulling or pushing crank baits, side pulling CB's as well. The different styles use the same basic equipment (TM, same rods, but can use different lures). Some fish only with minnows, some mix it up, some only artifical. I just saw a picture of guy double poling while he was longlining, so you can definately mix and match. All styles work year round, some better than others at times, some do one style and nothing but that one style.

JMichael said:

Yep that's it :)

theyyounggun said:
What size test do y'all run? And 1/8th ounce jig heads with tubes?

I run a 4/15 lb. test braided line (diameter of 4 lb with the strength of 15 lb) with 1/8th or 1/4 oz. heads with a 1/2 to 1 oz. egg sinker in between the two jigs. I use tubes and solid body jigs, even some of my own hand tied kiptail jigs sometimes. Add minnows/shiners sometimes, too.

We use what we call a crappie gnat also, instead of a jig...just add a minnow.
Here's a pic I found of the ones that I buy.

gnats_zps755cd433.jpg