spinning rod and reel for plastics?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowWalker

Reaction score
I am looking for a spinning rod and reel for plastics. Right now I have a pfleuger president on my ultralight rod and like it, but id like a bit bigger set up for throwing plastics out of my kayak.

I'm not opposed to baitcasters, but I think a spinning rod that is around 6'6" would be easier for me to manage out of a seated position low to the water.

What do you guys recommend as a mid level set up?

How much do you think your looking to spend?

Another reel you may want to check out is the Pflueger Trion GX-7. I bought my dad one for fathers day last year and I was really impressed with it. I will strongly consider it the next time I buy myself a new spinning reel, plus they only run about 35-40 bucks.

As far as rods, like I asked....depends on how much your looking to spend?

Probably around 75 or so for the rod. It's probably gonna get kinda beat up. But I get 20 percent off if I buy it at gander mountain.

How about a St. Croix? With the 20% off, you could get either a Premier/Mojo spinning rod for close to that price range, or a Triumph for around $60 bucks. I personally love St. Croix rods.

Bubba said:
How about a St. Croix? With the 20% off, you could get either a Premier/Mojo spinning rod for close to that price range, or a Triumph for around $60 bucks. I personally love St. Croix rods.

YES - get an Extra fast action

I have been very partial to my Diawa Terria reels on that type set up

I have a president that I got for cheap as a floor model at Dick's, I have beat the crap outta that reel in fresh and salt, and it just keeps on ticking. Its so smooth and has a great drag, and for the price you cannot find a reel with more bearings than pfluegers. When I need a new spinning reel I am definately going to get a supreme. As for the rod, I don't know what brands gander mountain sells, but shimano makes some nice rods for the money. St. Croix is always good though too.

I have a Shimano Symmetre and Cabela's Prodigy spining rod that I bought as a package from Cabela's. It's an awesome rig and was a decent price.

I've been fishing with Shimano's Spirex series probably since they started selling them. I bet my oldest one is close to 20 years old and still works like a charm. I'm also one of the few people that like the "quick-fire" trigger on my spinning reels with the rear drag. You can get it with drag on front too. They come in 3 sizes 1000, 2500 and 4000 models. I have a 1000RG and 2, 2500RG. Match them to your favorite spinning rod and you can't go wrong. The bad news is that the reels (Shimano in particular) are never on sale and are usually $59.95 each. I swear by them...but then again....everyone has their favorites.

I run a Mitchell 308XE that does a pretty good job with the plastics.

Shimano makes some really good rods in that price range. I also have a few shimano symetres and they have been great reels ove the years. If youre gonna use it for bass, Id get the 2500 series. You could probably score one cheaper on ebay vs using your employee discount. I bought a symetre on ebay for my dad a few months ago for about for 55 bucks with free shipping, compared to $99 at BPS. I also get a pretty good discount on a new stradic if your interested, let me know.

Oh and I almost forgot, Carrot Stix are on sale everywhere for around $80. I dont think you could go wrong there. I would think a lightweight setup would be beneficial being the seating position youre in in a kayak. I fish loomis, but I know first hand that a 6'9" MH carrot stick feels like feather in your hand. Helluva deal for $80.

Latest posts