Steering cable replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawfan80

Reaction score
I'm replacing the steering cable on a 1996 Evinrude 28 hp motor. How do I determine what size the tilt tube is so I get the right cable that will screw onto the tilt tube?

Jeeze, I've bought and have replaced dozens for OMC, Merc or Yamaha OB motors through the years and never gave a thought as to the OB brand ... so maybe it's universal 7/8" tilt tube thread for most? Found the answer, see below.

Also see here, as I like UFlex products over Teleflex as of late: https://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/en/catalogue/replacement-steering-cables/050058-1/1155/replacement-steering-cables.html

To determine which is right for your boat - answer this simple question:

What brand of outboard motor do you have?
If your answer is anything other than Honda, Mercury or Mariner, the size you need is 7/8". NOTE: Nearly all Honda's take the 7/8", but a few owners of Honda 90 and 130hp outboards have 1". Mercury and Mariner 2-cylinder outboards should be the 7/8" size, where a 3-cylinder Mercury might take either size. To confirm, if a section of the tilt tube is exposed, you may be able to measure the threads OD using a micrometer or even a crescent (adjustable) wrench, checked against a ruler.

Latest posts