Stiff Controls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gajet31

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Mercury 50 HP outboard. The controls have gotten stiffer with time. It is to the point that its a hindrance to run the boat as I cannot go in and out of gear or accelerate with ease. Does anyone have a "how to" guide on how to fix this issue? I have no idea where to start without buying entirely new controls and they are pretty expensive.

Thanks,

I bought a set from craigslist that had the same symptoms
as you describe.
I removed them and fastened a 12oz plastic soda bottle
with the bottom cut off to make a funnel around one end
of the cable, taped it up tight, and suspended it.
poured in a few ounces of ATF/Acetone mix and let it slowly
creep through the cable....... with a little pulling and tugging
back and forth, it loosened up to normal......
but - when the cable starts to rot from the inside out,
it could be a serious issue while underway..... time to replace it.
IMO - internal lubrication of an old cable is only a temporary fix.

this fix can also be applied to your lawnmower, snowblower,
and anything else used outdoors that is exposed to the elements
and the cable becomes hard to manipulate.

Since the system you have an issue with is a control system (steering, throttle, shift) I would recommend replacement of the cables.
Before you replace, disconnect the cables from the engine. Cycle the cable at the control box and VERIFY it is the cable.
Cycle the engine side and verify that is the issue if not the cable.
Lastly, while you are (probably) replacing cables, clean and lubricate the inside of the con box. Look for all wear surfaces and clean and lube.

I was able to drip down some PBBlaster down inside a throttle cable from one of the race boats I had. It's a spare cable so I wanted to see if I could break it free, it was frozen solid. I was able to break it free and it moves smoothly now, just had to mount it in a vice and use a screwdriver for leverage and some time to let it soak. But new cables are not too expensive if you take time to search around the web. I put new cables in my boat 2 years ago when I moved the console forward. I think I paid either $45 or $49 shipped for the pair of cables. Check to make sure it's the cables like was mentioned above and if it is, try to get the number off the cable if possible since that might determine the length for you.