Tearing Down My 85 Tracker Tournament V-17

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driz

Reaction score
I asked last year about this new to me find for $800. It runs like a top but behaved badly. Can't trim down or it likes to porpoise and act skiddishly. It has a 50 Merc with 4 blade prop? and Stingray fin?. I took off the fin and it drove even worse needing to be trimmed way up to get it going. Weird. Also seemed heavy so this week I took out the center deck.
Out came the carpet and about 20lbs of sand. Wood was ok except for boggy around the edges so I will replace that. Interestingly the supposedly wet foam is dry as a popcorn fart. I wasn't expecting that . So I pulled the carpet off the rear section yesterday and got it down to the aluminum floor . Lots more sand. No more carpet for this boat nowhere. I hate that crap, all it does is keep things wet.
I pulled the plastic console to fix the multitude of cracks they caused by using darned rivets to fasten it to the base. Got that all ground down using a die grinder with one of those cheap 1.5" rolllock disks. Nice and rough just right to take and hold fiberglass matting. I will try to resize some pics and show the progress as I go.
For now I will concentrate on finding if the foam under the wells and gas tanks is wet. That is the most likely place I can think of for water issues and as the pix show it looks like things got swamped back there some time or another.

Attachments

• stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 344
  • rear area.jpg
    rear area.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 344
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 344
  • looking forward.jpg
    looking forward.jpg