Telescopic Trailer Tongue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pmshoemaker said:
timsmcm, if you wouldn't mind posting a pic or two, that would be great! No rush -- no funds immediately available to do anything as of yet -- although it looks like I can pick up a section for the inside channel pretty cheap. My plan is for at least as much of the inside channel resting inside the outer channel as there will be extending past it to make sure the exposed length is well supported. Is this excessive? Like you said, my boat isn't that heavy. I can move it just by picking it up for now, but would like to add some decking which will add some weight. I completely understand your bolt inside the channel system -- what a great idea to double secure that set-up!

I will post picts of it as soon as I can. You will not need much funds to do this. Hacksaw, drill motor, drill bits, bolts and nuts, and your tongue metal. Also if trying to do it on a budget you might need a new tongue coupler. No welding needed just drilling. I say most men can do this but I am constantly reminded by my wife that I am utterly wrong In my assuming this to be true. So any help I can give I will and I assume others will help also. Will get picts as soon as I can.

I saw a rig on the road this afternoon that was quite different . . . .
and I said to myself - now there is a way to compensate for the extended tongue weight......
vacation travel.jpg
(I had to cobble the photos together to get the idea across . . . like Dale says, a photo is worth a 1,000 words.

Big discussion on BBC (BassBoatCenral) about a picture of a fractured tongue hinge. The owner used the hinge to add 5 or 6 feet of tongue. ( Way past the recommended length).

Then, he added a very large storage box directly above the hinge. No wonder the poor cast hinge gave out.

I think the slide-in arrangement gives a greater safety margin. Just my personal opinion, of course.

richg99

pmshoemaker said:
Produceman, I'm looking for a way to add about 2 feet to boost the boat forward on the trailer. My transom hangs over the back in its current form. I was just wondering if adding a couple of feet to the front using this tongue extension idea could achieve my goal of getting the rear end of the boat supported without needed anything welded. Just considering all options.

I get what you're thinking now. Don't see why either bolt or pin style wouldn't work. Be sure to leave some length inside the trailer for rigidity and spread the bolt/pin holes apart at least 24". I'm watching my trailer's main tube for any fatigue around the opening. May have a collar similar to what hitch receivers have welded on.

Thanks, timsmcm. Yes, I am pretty handy -- worked a lot of construction before I became a desk jockey LOL -- I also have a brother-in-law who is a welder and better yet, owes me money -- so the welding option is definitely there. But I would really like to do the work myself if I can -- and the pin/bolt set-up seems like the way to go -- but based on a few bits of input I'm not sure I'll even have to extend the tongue. My plan at this point is to add the 2x6 bunks that extend a little past the back edge of the trailer to support the transom, then take the trailer in that configuration and get it weighed. I'll then check the % of weight on the tongue (something I'm now aware of thanks to this forum). If I'm too rear-end heavy (less than 10% on the tongue) then I'll get a length of channel and put in a 2 ft. extension, a new winch post and coupler. The coupler looks and acts a little sketchy anyway, so I'm pretty much convinced on replacing that no matter what. Can't thank you guys enough -- I'm learning so much. Here's my biggest takeaway from tonight: If the rear end still has too much weight on it, then Johnny's plan goes into effect -- the wifey will surely understand that the Harley is needed to counter the weight of the back end of my boat trailer.

Here are some picts. Sorry i am in the middle of a carb rebuild and some much needed electrical work (34 years old) and that is my workshop- workstand. Both bolt locations are for extended and short tongue length. 1 picture of the spring loaded pin rod. There are 2, both are in the tube in the short setup. Only 1 when extended, that is the reason for the bolt to lock down the tongue. It is just for safety reasons but it also locks the tongue tube to the receiver tube. Makes it like it is 1 piece, solid. I have hauled that bike in the short and long tongue version for many many miles. Its tongue weight is maybe 10 lbs and have had no adverse effects while pulling in either short or long version.

Attachments

• 20170527_125852.jpg
    20170527_125852.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,919
  • 20170527_125919.jpg
    20170527_125919.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,919
  • 20170527_125947.jpg
    20170527_125947.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,919
Other shots

Attachments