The noodling has begun

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quackrstackr

Reaction score
And it has been lackluster at best so far.

Season started on June 1 but work kept me chained down until yesterday. A couple of the guys that set their own schedules got to go and wound up with a flathead of about 35 lbs, 2 near 15 and a blue cat of about 20 lbs.

We went yesterday and plucked a 25 lb flathead out on the first reach in.. that's a lot like catching a fish on your first cast and everybody knows what happens after that. It's a bad omen. We did wind up with a couple of 8 lb or so channel cats and another flathead of about 10 lbs much later in the afternoon.. right before my buddy's 2008 40hp, 4 stroke Yamaha seized up on him, ending the day. :shock:

They cruised up from checking a hole a few hundred yards away to see if we were having any luck and about 20 seconds after kicking it out of gear and while idling.. pop. The abrupt stop nearly jerked the tiller out of his hand. He runs that motor like an 80 year old man and it doesn't have that many hours on it, either. We struck a sandbar back in duck season that barely scraped paint on the prop and the motor immediately started making a knocking sound. He carried it to the local Yamaha warranty center where they tore the lower unit apart and stuck him for a new prop and told him that there was nothing wrong with the motor. It didn't make the sound anymore until about a month ago when he popped a small rock at idle speed that barely made a nick on a blade. Then it started again. Thinking the dealer knew what they were talking about the first time, he's been in no hurry to buy another prop. I told him that props don't make sounds like that, especially ones that have barely struck anything. I guess now he will listen to me. I took the plugs out and couldn't even turn the motor over by hand.

We had 2 full boat loads of people yesterday and had launched several miles from where his motor seized. Luckilly, there was a ramp just across the way where he could take the boat out. We had to conduct a mid lake Chinese fire drill so that I could carry enough people back to the original launch to shuffle all of the vehicles to the rescue site and pick up the rest of them.

We were supposed to go again today but are now down to just my boat and a max capacity of 4 if we went. The wind is also blowing from 15 to 22 mph so I'm sitting here wondering if I want to tempt fate again today with him along as a passenger. :lol:

We have another 2 boat load of guests coming in from 5 hours away next weekend. Maybe it is nothing major with his motor but I'm not betting on it. Looks like he may be making a drive up to his parents sometime this week to pick up his dad's boat. Something tells me his is going to be out of action for a while.

Go to your local water hole and look for anything that there might be a hole under.

Retaining walls, old chunks of concrete, old boat ramps, sharp banks with trees, etc. Just feel along with your feet and if you come across a hole, reach in there and check it out.

My buddy and his wife will be on #4.

They drove down and went with them one day last summer. We've been trying to get them to come up and go with us but because of their regular jobs along with their fishing schedule, they haven't been able to do it.

We have a video somewhere out there on youtube where a Canadian outdoor show came down and went with us. We have been on a couple of other shows as well but I don't know whether they are on the net or not.

I always thought you guys are absolutely CRAZY... Kudos to you for being a lot braver than I: I can promise you I would never be able to blindly reach into holes and what-not without being able to see what's in there. Gives me the creeps. *shudders*

biggun1979 said:
Man thats somthin ive always wanted to do how would a man go about getting started

There you go, Sound advice!

Feel for a hole under the water and then stick your hand in there and hopefully something latches on! :LOL2:

You guys are nuts! I will say that till the day I die.

Biggun1979,
You like your fingers and hands? Stick with the good old rod and reel. :LOL2:

No guts, no glory, men.

300_main.jpg

:mrgreen:

I have never heard of this. "Noodling"? Am I to understand that you walk around in the ater and reach into holes and under rocks feeling around for fish and then grab them! :-k

BaitCaster said:
I have never heard of this. "Noodling"? Am I to understand that you walk around in the ater and reach into holes and under rocks feeling around for fish and then grab them! :-k

That's the jist of it. We catch catfish in excess of 50 lbs with our hands.

wasilvers, in all the time that we have been doing it.. we have encountered one turtle and it was a very small painted turtle. Turtles have to breathe at some point so the likelihood of them swimming up into a hole with no air source is fairly remote.

Quackrstackr said:
BaitCaster said:

That's the jist of it. We catch catfish in excess of 50 lbs with our hands.

wasilvers, in all the time that we have been doing it.. we have encountered one turtle and it was a very small painted turtle. Turtles have to breathe at some point so the likelihood of them swimming up into a hole with no air source is fairly remote.[/quote

Good on ya mate! But not for me!

Weekend #2 is in the books with much the same result.

A 35, 25 & 20 yesterday. We had to leave one in the hole that was probably 30+. He got into a corner where we couldn't reach and didn't want to play with us.

Today, we had a 25 and a 12. We left 2 really nice fish in the holes.. same deal as yesterday.

The second weekend of June is usually the hottest part of the season and it was only about what you would expect any other part of the season. I think the fish spawned early when the water was high and the temps came up about 3 weeks ago. I also think that some of these fish have been educated before and it is why they just lay there jammed in the hole and don't want to play with us this year. :lol:

I was told that if you reach in a hole never reach up. I guess if the hole has a pocket in top because of snakes and turtles. But I'll never have to worry about it cause I'll never do it.

The majority of the holes that we reach into are 100% submerged.

That air pocket scenario is exactly why we don't check very many bank holes. We were checking a new riprap wall yesterday and I had a big water snake come out of a crack and eyeball me eye to eye. Poisonous or not, that brought an immediate halt to the activities there. :lol:

Latest posts