This old Bayrunner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I zoomed in after your explanation and like it! I'll measure up after the holiday. We hit the lake today and are way to the Grand Canyon to hike along the rim of the big ditch.

I bolted together some aluminum angle and scrap over a permanent tank.
Sure was nice to get rid of the plastic 6 gallon tanks and locker they were stored in.

I made it to fit two Stearns throwable device seat cushions. They tie on thru the two holes underneath the seat. I'm real happy with how it performs as a seat and a leaning post. Having 15 gallons of fuel Not taking up space is also nice.

Easy project. Saw, grinder nuts and bolts.

LDUBS said:
Stumplump-- You installed a ground to the tank, yes? Just checking :)
No. I am going to ground it to the sender when the guage comes in. Is that enough? Maybe I should throw a temporary ground to it.

Stumpalump said:
LDUBS said:
No. I am going to ground it to the sender when the guage comes in. Is that enough? Maybe I should throw a temporary ground to it.

I think all we are really talking about is getting rid of any static charge. I would think anything that connects to your negative bus bar would do the trick. Folks talk about bonding vs grounding. I'm going to admit that goes right over my head.

BTW, that is a very creative set up. Have fun.

LDUBS said:
Stumpalump said:
LDUBS said:

I think all we are really talking about is getting rid of any static charge. I would think anything that connects to your negative bus bar would do the trick. Folks talk about bonding vs grounding. I'm going to admit that goes right over my head.

BTW, that is a very creative set up. I suspect you are satisfied that it is sturdy or would have added X-bracing. Have fun.

Skiffing said:
That's a beauty!

Have fun with it.

Thanks! I had so much fun I wore out the gear lube in a just few months. It was nasty but no chunks.

Fuel guage got wired in but I should have pre run the sender wires before I bolted the seat and floor down. For now the guage will reside in the side compartment with the on off switch from a fried jig saw. Does anybody have a recomendation on a jigsaw or if the "orbital" feature is worth it on the higher end models?

Chunky -- like it in peanut butter but not gear lube :LOL2:

I like my Bosch brand jigsaw & their T-shank blades. Mine has the chip blower and orbital switch. I use the orbital options occasionally, but would not consider it a required feature. Get the feature/options that fit your budget. I used to kind of dread & avoid using my old Craftsman jigsaw. Now that I have a better one, I find that I use it much more often.

LDUBS said:
Chunky -- like it in peanut butter but not gear lube :LOL2:

I like my Bosch brand jigsaw & their T-shank blades. Mine has the chip blower and orbital switch. I use the orbital options occasionally, but would not consider it a required feature. Get the feature/options that fit your budget. I used to kind of dread & avoid using my old Craftsman jigsaw. Now that I have a better one, I find that I use it much more often.

I'm glad to hear you like the Bosch. I scored a craigslist deal on a new in box Bosch model 1590 today for $100. Probably a lot better than I needed but Bosch invented the jig saw and sometimes it's nice to have some high end tools. Got the wife committed to boating the Glen Canyon from Lees Ferry to the dam and Lake Powell (Page AZ) to Rainbow natural bridge next weekend. That's over 130 miles on the water. Wish us luck....

Wish I had fresh water water ways that big. I do have the ocean but my boat is a little small for that water. Have fun on your trip...nice looking boat.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

A hammer and your ball hitch make short work of straightening minor prop dings. Once those are out you want to file the edge but there is a right way to do it. The back pushing part of the prop you want to remain flat. See the file position? No bevel on this edge. File the nicks straight across keeping the file right against the blade.

Only file and sand enough to remove any high spots in the metal and paint scratches. Again be careful not to round this edge. You want a sharp square corner.

The front or sucktion side of the blade gets rounded. Imagine the curve of the blade continuing to the very edge. Roll the file and sand paper around the front edge.

No knife edge needed. Just flat on the back and rolled on the front. If yours was bad enough you may pick up a mile per hour or two. I don't go crazy with a polish or paint but having the dings out, ruff edges gone and proper flat and rolled sides of the blade makes a difference.

Here you can see the paint that was removed when I rolled the edge. On a go fast stainless race prop this rolled edge will start 1/2" away from the edge and be very thin. Aluminum would get to weak so just round it over a bit. The rolled edge even helps new props.

Lake Saguaro AZ. Look in the background. The whole place is like this.

dbmuk6.jpg

This site is small because of one thing. If you write text and add a pic it may or may not be gone when you fetch the next pic. I can only imagine the builds and pics we miss. From now on I'll do one pic per post. That will read choppy but writing on here with pics SUCKS and that keeps the site views low. But I did get new lights installed! Yea!

v4mntt.jpg

After cruising Lake Sajoro I cought a mermaid! No joke. Super models were on the dock doing a photo shoot! Out of all the 27' bubble boats, Carbon fiber bling and surf boats on this wealthy lake they wanted to be on the mighty tin! The Donzi Don Won dudes were in shock! Ha ha. They used the wet dog and old tin boat as a photo prop. I was glad to help!

107npnb.jpg

Check out those heels. I'm 6'2 and this one was as tall as me!

2czbp1i.jpg

We all wanted her to fall in with those shoes that she could not walk in including the photographer! I was scared to death she was going to fall in the boat. First time in a boat for two of them and it was most appropriately a tin boat!

355 mile solo boat adventure. Here it is loaded up to travel the 100 mile trip to Bullfrog Marina and back with a few side canyon excursions on Lake Powell. The crowds are gone and overnight temps in the upper 40's.

a2xxe.jpg

29 gallons of fuel on board and I bought 20 more at $4.66 a gallon at the two marinas. One Marina has no roads to it. They ferry fuel and provisions then run off of solar. It's called Dangaling Rope Marina.

scuek9.jpg

It's hard to go straight because all the cool side canyons seem to call you in to explore.

2dbnjwz.jpg

Camping spots are few because of the cliffs but when you find them they are sandy beaches. I collected driftwood for firewood in the hard to reach canyons. I sold two loads for fun along the way to the 60' housboaters that had no way to get it. I camped in the wilderness. It was awsome!

29f8cpd.jpg

351ifmd.jpg

Found a cave to boat in. How cool is that!

2zqv905.jpg

Living on the lake for 4 days and 3 nights had me stopping to hike along the way. The dog knows no fear on the cliffs and ran her heart out on them.

21bpu87.jpg

I hated to leave.

xc65bs.jpg

Till next time...

eb3fci.jpg