Thoughts on these boats for a Bass Boat project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is 46" wide, it is at the top of the beam. You want that at the floor. Ask him for the floor width.

K sent off an email, you probably right doesnt seems like 46" on the floor when u look at the pics with the seats.

Found one thats a true 48" wide on the floor.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/2932081527.html

An old LoweLine. The bad thing is they want $750 just for the boat only!

And i asked them to try and send me better pics. It sorta looks ok from the tiny pics.

What is a reasonable price for a boat like this? $750 just seems to high for it not to have a trailer too.

Pictures can be hard to gauge condition even with decent size ones. If it is in great condition, no major dents, gouges, no cracks, transom in good shape, and has the paperwork, maybe $500 cash. Do some searching on CL to see if he has been listing it in the past.

$500 if in the great condition they claim its in with title, is what popped into my head especially since i would need a trailer. I will do some searching to see if it was listed in the past.

I apperciate you guys shareing your knowledge helping me with advice while i locate a boat. :)

Sometimes its hard to overcome the desire to get a boat NOW .... but if you are patient, I guarantee you'll find a good deal on the boat you want.

$750 would be a good price for a nice dry 1448 and good trailer.

Be willing to drive for a good deal!! A couple hours in the car is worth it for a boat you'll be happy with.

Yea i have considered driving, i am not to far from Ft. Smith AR so I have been checking their craigs list too.

I just got this emailed to me.

Bass Tracker 1650 with a 20HP Johnson Engine. $1600

bt2w.jpg

bt1a.jpg

THis boat would almost be perfect if it didnt have that dang engine on it. lol what a complaint.

Plenty big thats for sure. If the engine is in good shape i think its a pretty fair overall price. Just needs some love and customization. i would like to keep it under a grand. But a boat that size and if the engine is in working order seems like a good deal.

Trapper02 said:
Plenty big thats for sure. If the engine is in good shape i think its a pretty fair overall price. Just needs some love and customization. i would like to keep it under a grand. But a boat that size and if the engine is in working order seems like a good deal.

Offer between $1000-$1200, then resell the motor. Should be able to get $300-$500 if the motor runs--so that means the boat is only running $500-$900ish... Worst they can say is 'no'.

Around here, I would say that hull is worth about $800, and the motor in decent running shape would be worth about $400--so I wouldn't go over $1200

I was in the same situation you are now. In November my wifey gave me an allowance of $1400 and said go get your tin boat....here I am now and just a week ago I finally picked up my boat. I scanned CL and the local area for months. You have to be patient on this purchase, because you are probably stuck with it for the next 2-5 years or at least that is what I have planned. After all my searching I found a my set-up.....and I got everything for $860, boat, motor, TM, trailer. Remember that you will need about 150-200 for DMV and all the other misc items too, i.e. air horn, life jackets, fire ex, anchor, line, truck hitch, etc.

Good luck with your search, but dont rush it.

If i could get him down to $1200 i could live with my wife. lol And keep the engine for that price.

So about the boat. I know have heard some complaints about the newer Trackers. Paint wise I seem to recall. Is this a pretty good boat? Also I am assuming "Bass Tracker" just dropped the "Bass" and became Tracker right?

Nice what size of boat did you end up getting? I was trying to stick with a 14' range with a floor wider than 36" and do with out the motor.

But I would be willing to spend more for a slightly better boat. But I still have to keep it in reasonable range. i do have some "me money" squirreled away. Have to do some number crunching, and see how bad this guys is wanting to sell his boat.

It's not worth the 1600...but Johnson makes a good motor...get him down in your price range and it should be alright.

Sure do. It's been sitting in the middle of a field, uncovered for who knows how long...it's been a while by the looks of it.

Guess it doesnt hurt to make an offer. If they dont like it they can just say no thanks.

I'll offer $1100 pending an inspection and go from there.

Got a nibble on another boat.

Old LoweLine 1448. but dang they are asking $750 for the boat alone by itself! People in OK so far really seem to value their boats. hehe
No motor, no tolling motor, no trailer! Just seems awfully high. What do you guys think a fair price would be for this boat only? $300-$500 maybe?

Apparently its "Daddy's old boat" and I think there's some sentimental value attached to it.

I hate that it has no trailer, but if the price was right I would consider it.

Right Boat, wrong price, no trailer.

boat2y.jpg

boat1t.jpg

When you don't have to pay for advertising, people always start high. Allot of people who are not really looking to sell, but if they could get that price they will. As MrSimon says, be patient.

Not that you need more to think about, but the stuff you are looking at are all flat front jon boats .... which is fine, but you might want to look at mod-v boats too. You mentioned you might be in some waves, and the mod-v helps a bit with that. Plus, mod-v boats are often made out of thicker material generally better constructed. That's not always the case, but it seems to be the norm.

When searching Craigslist, use the site https://www.searchtempest.com It allows you to put in your zip code and search all the different craigslists in your area. It also allows you to create custom searches. Learn to use Searchtempest!!!! It will make a huge difference in finding the boat you want.

For example, 60 seconds of searching and I found this boat in your area. Not much info in the ad, but it looks like either a 1448 or a 1648 with a nice mercury 25hp outboard, good trailer, and extras. Its listed at 1800, but I'm sure you could haggle down to 1500, sell the motor for 700 and have a great set-up for 800.

Options options options .... ain't boat shopping a blast!!!!!

https://stillwater.craigslist.org/boa/2905475199.html

Ok, this is too much fun .... makes me want to buy another boat.

Here is a cool option. Its an older 14' v-hull with an older 9hp motor and a trolling motor. It would make a GREAT project boat, and the whole package is only listed at $800.

https://fayar.craigslist.org/boa/2941808044.html

If you look around long enough, I bet you can find a package deal where you can sell just the gas motor for what you paid for the whole thing ..... essentially giving you a free boat and trailer. It can be done, I've done it three different times.