Tiller handle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Froggy said:
Any tricks on holding the tiller on my 6HP so it wont turn right and shut off?

Hey Froggy,

I have look up a couple of things about the tiller. The years and series of your motor did not come with a kill switch per say, so the only way to kill the motor was to turn it clock wise to the stop position label on the throttle control plate or pull the choke and kill the motor.

So, if your throttle linkages are well lubricated and move easily then the throttle will slowly turn to the off position if you are not maintaining positioning with your hand.

** I'm sure there are rig ups that can prevent this, but it removes the safety of feature if you fall out the boat and your motor keeps running. Dangerous situation where boat with no control will run over a fallen fisherman in the water to severely injury or kill them. **

Changing the grip friction block might help a little if the original one is worn, but no guarantees their. Its funny, because most people have problems with a very stiff adjusting throttle due to corrosion, old dried grease, or damaged gears.

Other engines those years had idle adjustment screws or knobs( like the 9.5hp and 18hp motors) that made it easy to maintain a trolling speed while fishing along, but the they had kill switches if you needed to cut the motor.

I hope this helps Froggy!!

cajuncook1

cajuncook1 said:
Froggy said:
Any tricks on holding the tiller on my 6HP so it wont turn right and shut off?

Hey Froggy,

I have look up a couple of things about the tiller. The years and series of your motor did not come with a kill switch per say, so the only way to kill the motor was to turn it clock wise to the stop position label on the throttle control plate or pull the choke and kill the motor.

So, if your throttle linkages are well lubricated and move easily then the throttle will slowly turn to the off position if you are not maintaining positioning with your hand.

** I'm sure there are rig ups that can prevent this, but it removes the safety of feature if you fall out the boat and your motor keeps running. Dangerous situation where boat with no control will run over a fallen fisherman in the water to severely injury or kill them. **

Changing the grip friction block might help a little if the original one is worn, but no guarantees their. Its funny, because most people have problems with a very stiff adjusting throttle due to corrosion, old dried grease, or damaged gears.

Other engines those years had idle adjustment screws or knobs( like the 9.5hp and 18hp motors) that made it easy to maintain a trolling speed while fishing along, but the they had kill switches if you needed to cut the motor.

I hope this helps Froggy!!

cajuncook1

How can you mediate some of this stiffness that you speak of. My 25hp mid eighties rude is a chore to throttle up and down. And where is the idle adjustment screw? Would love to turn the idle up a bit.

sorry, I thought you meant turning the entire engine, like to turn the boat..... then it stalls, sorry.

Troutman3000 said:
Froggy said:
The idle adjustment screw is the one in the front, lean and rich, I got some info on adjustments, gonna run it first, bringing it up to speed etc.

Can get me a picture?

Hey Troutman3000 please post your questions or needs in a new post. That way if someone is able to help they can focus their attention on you and it prevents mix up with on the current post. I'll be glad to help if I can.

cajuncook1

Froggy said:
The idle adjustment screw is the one in the front, lean and rich, I got some info on adjustments, gonna run it first, bringing it up to speed etc.

The adjust I'm talking about is different and it is not located on the carburetor. These are for the 9.5hp and 18hp motor of 1960 and 1970's in general. Look at the links.

Look at item 19 (9.5hp Evinrude/Johnson) nice little feature for setting slow trolling.) This feature is not available for the 6hp Evinrude
https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1970/9022A%201970/LOWER%20UNIT%20GROUP/parts.html

Look at item 84 and 85 (18hp Evinrude/Johnson) not as easy to adjust as the 9.5hp motor but had the same purpose)

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1970/18002E%201970/LOWER%20UNIT%20GROUP/parts.html

The part you are referring to Froggy is located on the carburetor and it is the slow idle adjustment (it is as you stated to adjust the lean/ rich fuel delivery at slow speeds and idling. The other pieces that I was referring to only adjust the idle speed and had nothing to do with the lean/rich mixture on the carburetor.

Oh by the way the fast jet mixture is fixed on your carburetor and there is no adjusting it, just got to keep it clean. :D

Hope she gives you a good ride Froggy!! :p

cajuncook1