To prop or not to prop (or motor)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatlose

Reaction score
Hello, all. I've been doing some research but wanted to get some possibly updated thoughts/advice from you guys.

I have a welded 15' Gregor semi-V with a 70's Johnson 15hp 2-stroke tiller. Rebuilt & reinforced transom.

The boat is loaded down pretty well with gear and 70 lbs in decking, big fishing buddy, etc....and goes about 15 mph according to GPS.

Stock 9.25" x 10" prop. Max RPM the motor hits on the water is 5500 RPM, I believe they are suppose to hit a max of 6500 RPM.

The question: Should I prop down a couple inches in pitch to 9.25" x 8", or just spend my resources and get a 25hp motor? Is the $70 for a new prop going to make me happy? Or is that just too little motor for that boat & loadout? Thanks in advance!

Bonus: I'm also pondering the $3k for a new 20hp EFI Tohatsu, but working on older boat motors doesn't scare me.

Bigger motor!
A 25hp or 30hp should do a good job.

5500 is optimal rpm for that 15hp

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

$70 plus whatever you can get for your 15 right before duck season might get you pretty close to a 25. IMO the 31.8ci OMC was one of, if not the finest outbaord ever produced.

Go bigger. Those 15’s are great motors on a light boat but there is a limit. I’m a big fan of the johnnyrudes. I have owned 20-25-35 from the late 70’s thru 90’s, currently a 1983 35 johnson, and they are great motors. That being said so is the new tohatsu so either way you will be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts